1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I had to do it!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by harris farm, Dec 5, 2010.

1. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    I had to get rid of my roo booster. He was a BR very beautiful. He was too aggressive toward my wife and kids. He would go after them whenever I wasn't around. One morning my wife went out to release them and as he came out he was looking at her and a broom. He still came after her. She hit him 7 times but still he kept coming. So after the last hit, which sent him several feet away, she ran out the gate with him in chase. She sent me a text at work "Its time to eat booster". I knew what happen before she explained. So I did the deed.

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    My BR turned on us too. It's a bummer but you have to do what's best for your family. I have a little girl that was attacked by my BR. I couldn't do the deed though...I guess I'm a wimp. I turned the job over to friends that raise meaties after unsuccessfully finding him a new home. Oh well, at least they get a few months of the good life....better than most roos get.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I fully understand and support the decision. I had a rooster that was a danger to my wife and any visitor. We don't have that problem with our current rooster.

4. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Oh, sorry to hear that. Sounds like it was time for him to go. NOW it's time for a replacement!

5. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    It's a hard decision to make, but the relief that comes once the situation is addressed is worth it.

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:This is so true. It was hard for me the first time but not having to worry when in the coop is a big relief [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by