I Hatched too Many Chicks This Year! Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bigredfeather, Oct 12, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I came to the conclusion recently that I have hatched way more chicks this year than I really should have. I had 10 chickens prior to this past February. As of right now I have 104. They take up such little space when they are hatched, but as they are getting bigger, they are needing almost more coop space than I have to utilize. I found myself building another pen in the coop this weekend to accomidate my ever growing chicks. I really wish I wouldn't have hatched so many, especially with Winter quickly approaching.

Anyone else having hatcher's remorse after a Spring/Summer of heavy hatching?

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I have only hatched 39 so far. I do have about 45 more to hatch. I don't have any remorse. I just keep building.......... Or my husband does, so he may have some remorse [​IMG]

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i'm sorry, your statement doesn't make sense to me. 'too many' doesn't go with 'chicks'. [​IMG]

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    WOW. I acquired all my birds as chicks. I went from 2 in March to a grand total of 7. It seems like a lot. 104. I repeat-WOW.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I had to NOT hatch any chicks this year, and didn't buy any either... my coop could handle more - its just that extra food and having to carry water in winter that I can't handle!

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh, I started hatching in January and didn't stop until the beginning of July when my DH said enough! I have no clue how many I hatched, along with some help from a few broody's either! I've sold some and kept some, so I've lost track of all of them but I can tell you that I hatched A LOT of chicks! [​IMG]

I'm doing one more hatch this week and that will be it for me this year. [​IMG]

7. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Send some to meeee [​IMG]

8. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    I did not hatch any, but the DH wishes I had just ordered the 10 from the feed store and not the additional 25 from Whitmore.

After eating spare cockerels, we still have 12 more than I had hoped to over-winter. Still hoping to find some locals that would like a pullet or 5. [​IMG]

9. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

20- waaaaaaaay too many. Some of you are probably thinking 20?! Thats not a lot. Well we actaully hatched about 25 or 26- a few deaths. But here in the UK, we can only have 49 birds maximum before we have to register with DEFRA. Plus 10 quail- I think i have 27 chickens- 10+27=37. I have more eggs in the incubator [​IMG] BUT I WANT TO HATCH NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  10. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Yeah, feed bill is killing me, and I'm dreading dealing with frozen water this Winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by