I hate bubble wrap

Quote:
You don't check the eggs? You simply throw it away? Bizarre.
idunno.gif

Due to my advanced age, I don't bend as well as I used to. It's cheaper for me to chuck the eggs as opposed to paying the bone cracker to straighten out my back after picking up all those darn peanuts.

yuckyuck.gif

Dipsy Is THE Pro!

I think the coolest way I ever got eggs (This would only work well with bantam eggs... unless you used a JUMBO carton for mid-sized eggs) is in a tri-fold plastic carton with polyester batting all around them. It was sealed up with a ribbon and sturdy packing all around the carton. They were perfect!

I don't especially like getting eggs that have been individually wrapped in bubble wrap after seeing it done differently.

That being said... Almost everybody does it with great success!

Last edited:
I don't mind the bubble wrap. I've recieved eggs wrapped in newspaper, bubble wrap, foam--all with similar hatching results.

What I don't like is the over taping. I got one batch of eggs, each individually wrapped in bubble wrap, then hermetically sealed in postal tape (sealed on all four edges tape on tape).

How am I supposed to get that open without jiggling the heck out of the egg? It was a real pain.

Someone needs to run an actual test with not shipped eggs and see if wrapping in plastic really harms the hatch rate. I know some people have said they even plastic wrap their own eggs they are storing because it keeps the egg from losing moisture and they get a high hatch rate even from eggs stored for 3weeks. Personally my best shipped hatches have been from bubble wrapped eggs and my worst were from the people that used packing peanuts. I had no eggs develop from my last shipment that was in packing peanuts. I've shipped out several batches now wrapped in tons of bubble wrap and everyone has been getting good development and few clears.

Quote:
Remember not to order eggs from me, as i alway use packing peanuts.
With my way you can open the box remove the eggs without getting peanuts every where.

Last edited:
Ok here are some pics, package without bubble wrap.

eggspackage001.jpg
eggspackage002.jpg
eggspackage003.jpg
eggspackage005.jpg

1. Foam or package peanut on the bottom of #7 usps box(free).
2. Cardboard cell ,for air space on all 4 sides.
3. Places eggs inside foam cups(they breathe.)
4. Close top of cup and tape.
5. Center cups in the box. can layer for more cups.
6. Now fill the box with package peanuts. Even the air space on all 4 sides.

Make sure to place eggs in the foam cups large end up.
Have used bubble wrap sheets on the bottom in place of the foam.

These are peafowl eggs, the 16oz, cups work great for peafowl,turkey,and geese eggs.

You can get smaller cups for chicken and pheasant.

I get my foam cups at the dollar store.

Main thing keep the eggs from the side of the box, and space between the cups.

Another thing placing them in the cups is faster than wrapping them in bubble wrap. This way the eggs can breathe. and keep the air cell in place most of the time.

What do you put in the top of the cups, to keep the eggs from bouncing around inside the cups? And what's that you wrap the cups with?

How do the peanuts not go all over when you unpack the box?
Personally, if there are foam peanuts in a box I open, I spread newspaper on the table, put the box in the middle, and unpack. If any do hit the floor, I sweep them up with a broom. I'd never, ever, throw away a whole shipment of eggs or anything else because of peanuts. If it was a problem for me, I'd ask shippers in advance to please use something else, and explain the problem. Or ask a friend or family member to come over and help me, for a few minutes.

ETA: I re-read your posts, I see you close the top of the cup and tape. I don't know if I believe that foam breathes, though. It'll hold hot liquids without leaking, I'd think it would be air-tight, as well, especially folded over and taped closed. But maybe not...

Last edited:
I just got 16 eggs from Cree Farms. They traveled from Washington State to Tennessee and not a single one was broken.
Their method-
-each egg was wrapped completely in bubble wrap like a burrito.
-I'm pretty sure they added bubble wrap on all four sides of one of the smaller square priority boxes.
-They filled the bottom of the box with peanuts and added the eggs, with extra peanuts in between and on top.
- That box was sealed up.
- That box was nestled in a larger priority box with foam padding on all 6 sides. The larger box was sealed up and addressed.
Ta Da! (Or as my 2 year old niece prefers- Da Ta!)

Again, all 16 arrived intact. Eight are under a broody and I have not candled them. They should hatch out on Thursday. Eight more went in the incubator. Those I have candled and have development out of 5. They are due on Saturday. Given how the PO likes to toss things around, I would be happy with a 50% hatch. Many hands touched that box between here and there. The fact that they all made it is pretty remarkable and a testament to Cree Farms packing.

Back
Top Bottom