I hate Foxes - from the UK

saltdean norm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 3, 2009
Sussex, UK
Hi all

Was in the garden yesterday afternoon with my 2 year old daughter and a big mangey fox casually appeared from under a bush at the back of the garden and trotted across the lawn in front of us. It wasn't bothered at all that we were in the garden.

I'm still a few weeks off finishing our run and getting our birds, but I had planned on letting them range in the garden during the day but now I think I'd better change my plans.

Were we live is overrun with foxes at the moment, we see them everynight but the council takes no action to control their numbers as they are not classed as vermin.

I realize that most of you fellow BYC's are based in the USA so you proabbly won't of seen this story - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10468276.stm a fox entered a hosue and attacked two babies as they slept - really nasty.

Our run is fairly big (8ft X 12ft x 6ft high) and the coop inside is very solid. I'm sinking the weld mesh into the floor and have the bottom on the run edged with railway sleepers so I'm happy that they will be secure as possible but I'm really annoyed that they can't run free in the garden.

Maybe getting a dog is the answer???

A medium or large sized dog would help. Fox, unless rabid, steer clear of dogs bigger than themselves usually.

Saltdean, that BBC story - how horrible! You are right to be a bit concerned. Perhaps a large dog that is good with children would be the answer. But be sure to protect the chickens from him.

So why DID ya'll stop fox-hunting if they are so bad? Didn't I read years ago that Great Britain has stopped fox-hunts? Wasn't that a tradition for thousands of years in GB?

I have a friend in Scotland who also has a fox problem. She finally went with an electrified net fence and it has really helped. It did mean no free-ranging, but she built good sized runs instead.

ETA, she has 3 dogs, but that still didn't stop the foxes.

Last edited:
Hi, I am from wales, and foxes are a major problem. Are you town based as urban foxes are very bold in comparison with their country cousins? (However, whereas town foxes live mainly on food thrown away, country foxes go for poultry houses)

I have a chicken-friendly Border Collie and a (smelly) pygmy goat. The foxes usually give us a very wide berth (almost afraid to say this in case he pays us a visit tonight). The dog may be an option, the goat is a non-starter in a town.

My chickens free range over a large area.

Hope you can find a workable solution as chickens love to free range,

Sandie

Last edited:
So, go to Parliment, tell then it was a big mistake allowing the Gov't to take your guns away. I'm sure they'll listen and give 'em right back.
frow.gif

OR, you can get them to put up one of those "security"(?) cameras that seem to be EVERYWHERE in England now. Do they have them in the loo yet?

Last edited:
Quote:
1.) Owning firearms is illegal in Britain.

2.) The foxes were often run down and torn apart alive by the hounds. This is cruelty to animals that really shouldn't be tolerated, so laws were passed against the sport.

Back
Top Bottom