I Hate Mmy Mean Ol' Chickens!!!

Chickens are not nasty or mean, they are simply protecting the flock! Every newcomer to the flock represents a threat--could very well bring in deadly diseases, could usurp valuable space, food and water and endanger the flock. That is why you can't just throw them together. You've gotten some good advice--make sure you have lots of room, at least two feeders, and go very slow--I keep them "separated but visible" for at least 3 weeks before introduction.
Here's a really good article on introductions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

Last edited:
I usually introduce at 16 weeks and yes, they take a little beating but usually, after about 3 days it's all over.

Quote:
I agree... the pullets will have a hard time but the young roos don't have a chance. The only way to keep the younger roos with your main flock is to cull the older ones FIRST.

I'm so sorry, Lora!
hugs.gif

Thanks to all for the great advice! I really do love my chickens that is why it is so heartbreaking when I lose one. They have plenty of room, feed, water. Actually they are quite spoiled! This weekend I will move their pen out next to the coop/run so they can see one another. I have been letting the young ones range near the run so they have been able to see one another but I guess they just need more time so I will give it to them. I love my little roos, a BO and a WS and miss my other little BO. I have a great RIR mutt roo that I want to keep and an Americana/EE roo that must be rehomed. I'm hoping to keep the RIR, BO and WS. I've read plenty of posts from folks that have more than one or 2 roos and there will be plenty of gals to go around.

Thanks again & God Bless
Laura

Last edited:
My flock (Ameraucanas and EEs) are pretty easy going, with lots of space, and I've had great success integrating youngsters. From the time they're a couple of weeks old they live alongside the main coop, separated only by a wire fence. Once they're a month old or so I open it up so that the little ones can fit through into the main run but the big girls can't get into the baby territory. The youngsters start venturing forth more and more, running back to their safe area when they get spooked, and by the time they're 6-8 weeks old they're completely integrated.

Broody-raised chicks integrate even faster. I keep them separated by a fence for a couple of weeks and after that I turn them loose into the general population. By then the other girls have gotten used to seeing the babies and they have enough sense and strength to stay close to mom, who protects them. By the time those chicks are a month old they're sleeping on the roosts in the main coop amongst all the full grown chickens.

I haven't had any fights with the roosters this way as the youngsters are raised with the flock from the time they're quite small and they accept the dominance of the alpha roo. (Mind you, by the time they start to get to that obstreperous age most of them go to freezer camp so there might be just one or two young mature roos around at any given time.)

can you put them in a tractor inside the run? Is it large enough? That's what we do.. so that they can see each other and get used to each other but not hurt the babies. We built a 4x 2 tractor and put it in.

Back
Top Bottom