I hate my chickens!! however I am starting to like them again pg 5

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by d1, Jun 17, 2009.

1. d1

d1 Songster

May 9, 2009
    Saucier,Ms.
    getting tired of feeding 6 hens and only getting 3-4 eggs and got zilch eggs today

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    well not every hen lays an egg a day. what breed are the girls???

sorry your frustrated

3. d1

d1 Songster

May 9, 2009
    Saucier,Ms.
    BR and GC wouldnt be bad if for two weeks after I got them they put out 5-6 a day then started dropping off

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    how old are they both those are very good laying breeds

5. d1

d1 Songster

May 9, 2009
    Saucier,Ms.
    BR 3 GC 2 years old I know thats whats got me aggrvated

6. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    maybe its the heat?

7. I havent gotten a single egg! I think it's the heat. Several others were complaining too.

8. I put 5 milk jugs of water in the freezer tonight, I am gonna make a red-neck air conditioner for them in the morning. I'll let you know how it turns out. Heat Index here has been 105* to 110*!!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  9. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

Ok...no matter how I say this, it's likely going to come out wrong, but...chickens aren't egg factories, they are animals. They get stressed, sick, and go through ups and downs. Is it exceptionally hot? Are they missing something in their diet? Are they ill? Stressed? Do they have clean, adequate housing?
    I know it's easy to get frustrated sometimes, but maybe you should explore the cause and/or see if anyone else has had similar experiences. This is often better done by giving more background (age, how long you've had them, breed, etc) in the OP, and asking for help rather than just saying "I hate my chickens"

I hope you get it figured out, though. I'm not much help. I'm pretty new to this, too.

1 person likes this.
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Mine have fallen off production a bit in this extreme heat. Remember, they are living creatures, not machines. Even the best layers skip a day now and again as young hens and yours are over two years old. My oldest girls are three and a half years old and they lay about 3-4 eggs a week, each, some more than that,which I think is marvelous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: