I hate my job - but it is a job

Sjisty

Scribe of Brahmalot
12 Years
May 18, 2009
Brooksville
This is a bit of a rant.

I am a medical transcriptionist. I have worked for the same company for 13+ years and am good at my job. Lately, this career stinks, though! More and more of the work is going overseas, leaving less work available. As a consequence, we are expected to change our hours to accommodate the work load, pretty much chaining ourselves to the computer until we get our 8 hours in daily (or nightly) or taking vacation pay if there is no work available. I have watched my paycheck get cut in half (literally) over the last few years with the coming of speech recognition and discontinuation of bonuses, work incentives, etc. The newest cut is in our vacation pay. We have been cut from 18 days yearly to 15 days now.

I am not trained for anything else and at this point in my life am not going to go back to school. Most transcription companies require working weekends, which I cannot do because I have another weekend job, so I'm stuck with this company.

Bottom line - I hate my job!!!!! At the same time, I'm grateful to have a job in this economy, I just wish it wasn't this one!

Thanks for letting me vent!

This is a bit of a rant.

I am a medical transcriptionist. I have worked for the same company for 13+ years and am good at my job. Lately, this career stinks, though! More and more of the work is going overseas, leaving less work available. As a consequence, we are expected to change our hours to accommodate the work load, pretty much chaining ourselves to the computer until we get our 8 hours in daily (or nightly) or taking vacation pay if there is no work available. I have watched my paycheck get cut in half (literally) over the last few years with the coming of speech recognition and discontinuation of bonuses, work incentives, etc. The newest cut is in our vacation pay. We have been cut from 18 days yearly to 15 days now.

I am not trained for anything else and at this point in my life am not going to go back to school. Most transcription companies require working weekends, which I cannot do because I have another weekend job, so I'm stuck with this company.

Bottom line - I hate my job!!!!! At the same time, I'm grateful to have a job in this economy, I just wish it wasn't this one!

Thanks for letting me vent!
Thank your government. This country is only getting worse

I can empathize with you, I recently made an extreme life changing decision,, I left my classroom and will take the next few months off. I'm burned out, unhappy, and it's not with teaching, it's with our idiot NM Governor who hates teachers and education and makes it impossible to teach. There are not enough hours in the day to do all the paperwork we need to do, our class cap got done away with so if you can fit 50 students in your class you have 50 students. I had 32 in my tiny portable, and have to differentiate for each one.

Look at your situation, would you be happier doing something else? Something totally different, even customer service? Something you don't have to go back to school to do, but would be more flexible? Not knowing your situation it's hard to suggest something, but I did discover I had to make this change to be who I need to be for myself, my family, and for those who count on me. I'm doing the self employment routine for awhile and if it proves enough to support me, then that is what I'll do.

Best of luck to you, take care of YOU, worry about YOU, because if you don't you can't do it for anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom