I hate these phone calls!

Quote:
that made me laugh my DH starts those calls like that and his biggest danger is electricity 13,800 volts and then there is the 20'to40' drop off the pole.
glad your DH is ok.

know just what you feel only with me it is children, one is cop, married to cop, 2 is career military (airforce) So to me police, firefighters, and military is very special people, My DH drove a big rig for 27 years until he had his first heart attact so know the dangers everyone faces no matter what the job.and in this day I think school teachers deserve hazard pay for the job they do,
thumbsup.gif
marrie

I stopped listening to our scanner for exactly that reason. If he's shot or otherwise hurt, someone will let me know.
I was just worrying myself needlessly with that dang scanner. Every call that sounded iffy would scare me, then I have to wait for what seemed like forever before I could assume he was done handling that call and it would okay for me to call him.
Our dispatchers are the worst too! They don't bother to get any information from the caller and just tell the officer to go to such and such address. Sure would be nice to know whether you are responding to a car accident, a man with a gun call or a domestic dispute (those are the most unpredictable calls).

In my case the media doesn't help either! I stopped listening to the scanner years ago but then one day a "friend" caled to let me know there was a huge explosion and was DH OK? Ugh! First off if there was just an explosion he's probably a little busy right now! He can't call me and tell me he's OK!! And I can't call to see if he's OK He's doing his job!!

People simply don't get it.

So I turn on the TV - bad idea! The news showed the explosion and there in the midst was a close up from a helicopter of DHs helmet melted into the asphalt!!! Yep, melted! They got such great camera's I could read the number clearly off the back of the helmet! I knew it was his! The news said no one was killed.... truly that is small comfort because not dead can be an iffy thing in some cases....

That was the "Your husband has been hurt" call. It was amazing that he wasn't more hurt than he had been. He was blown about forty feet and burned, but not badly. Thank OSHA for safety gear!

But, as others pointed out construction, electrical workers (bet you never see him when the weather's bad either do you?) they are all dangerous and we need to be grateful to them all.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

In my case the media doesn't help either! I stopped listening to the scanner years ago but then one day a "friend" caled to let me know there was a huge explosion and was DH OK? Ugh! First off if there was just an explosion he's probably a little busy right now! He can't call me and tell me he's OK!! And I can't call to see if he's OK He's doing his job!!

People simply don't get it.

So I turn on the TV - bad idea! The news showed the explosion and there in the midst was a close up from a helicopter of DHs helmet melted into the asphalt!!! Yep, melted! They got such great camera's I could read the number clearly off the back of the helmet! I knew it was his! The news said no one was killed.... truly that is small comfort because not dead can be an iffy thing in some cases....

That was the "Your husband has been hurt" call. It was amazing that he wasn't more hurt than he had been. He was blown about forty feet and burned, but not badly. Thank OSHA for safety gear!

But, as others pointed out construction, electrical workers (bet you never see him when the weather's bad either do you?) they are all dangerous and we need to be grateful to them all.

no I don't see him at all when the weathers bad my power was out for over a week once and he was in Maine fixing their power cause of an ice storm.
One day my sister-in-law called me and says "is jeff ok" and was like why wouldn't he be ok.
And she says oh he was climbing 4ooft tower in new bedford, you mean he didn't tell you?
I was so mad he didn't tell me cause he didn't want me to worry and she should have known better cause her husband DH's brother is a lineman too. Actually we have over 30 men in the family that are lineman.
so I worry all the time​

I get the call where my DH says "Babe, you're not gonna believe this".

I hate it when he calls with those words. It's never good news.
he.gif

I know what you mean about the I'm OK crap too. No news is good news now. I would rather the phone didn't even ring.

the worst one was, I was watching the news and there was an accident with an electric crew in a town my brother was working in and 2 men had died.And of course they can't tell you the names.
My DH called from the hospital and told me it was the crew my brother was on but he was'nt hurt bad.
Once I got a call cause the idiot he was working with backed up the bucket and didn't see him and pinned him up against the pole. He was bruised from the chest to thigh and the worst part was I was here in MA and he was in Mi.

Quote:
Those are the ones that kill me! I don';t worry about DH because I know he is careful, but then he works with these morons sometimes!!! And they do stuff that will get HIM killed! There is ONE guy in particular that DH actually tries not to have to work with because he thinks the guy is dangerous.....

my dad is a farmer. I still remember him coming in the house with blood on his back, a shirt around his hand, clothes burned or running into the house and telling us to get boots on and buckets . One day (my first baby shower) my sister saw him walking down the road to my grandmothers (across the road) waving his hands in front of him....battery blew up....again. Or the day I came to pick up my son after work and found the tractor and planter down over the bank and no body home. My boyfriend is a warehouse supervisor thank god but my oldest son is on the farm daily.

just driving to his job is probably more dangerous
wink.png

ya them jobs sux ,, but hopefully its a job he likes,, ive had 2 of the most dangerous jobs there are,, and i got my worst injury from sleeping in the passenger side of a truck.
you'll never get used to it, and will ALWAYS hate to hear the phone ring,, but that just makes ya time ya spend together, that more special
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom