I hate this polar vortex!

It was -7F at 5am today. -3 at 9. There is a lite wind, so my girls are hanging out under the raised coop. All 4 sides are covered in plastic to block the wind, with a small crack along the top on all sides,View attachment 1223527 for ventilation and the chicken door is open if they want to venture out.
I have been scattering their treat of seeds under the coop. Through the trapdoor ramp, in this cold.View attachment 1223525. GC
They actually look pretty toasty

It's -3 degrees here. Take the quiz:
Are my ducks in the provided (draft-free, hay-bedded, easy-access) coop where I drove them two hours ago?
OR
Are they huddled in the middle of the chicken pen, all in a big pile with no shelter?

Take a wild guess.

For some reason, my ducks are still alive. I checked their feet this morning. They didn't even have the decency to validate my worry by getting frostbite.
Ha!

I feel your pain, all week its been as low as -17 with the wind chill index. When they get cold they have similar behavior as when they are sick, all huddled down standing..all I have been doing is worrying. My rooster on the other hand is suffering I believe as his comb is abnormally large for his 'breed'. Cleaning out the coop twice a day with same in water changes. Also fluffing the bedding material and giving them some things to keep them moving and busy. Think they're honestly doing ok..its me that needs to breath.

I feel your pain, all week its been as low as -17 with the wind chill index. When they get cold they have similar behavior as when they are sick, all huddled down standing..all I have been doing is worrying. My rooster on the other hand is suffering I believe as his comb is abnormally large for his 'breed'. Cleaning out the coop twice a day with same in water changes. Also fluffing the bedding material and giving them some things to keep them moving and busy. Think they're honestly doing ok..its me that needs to breath.
My chickens are fine, with the exception of a frostbitten comb on a rooster, and a couple of nearly naked molters. They are in the garage. I throw scraps out to them, get them moving, put up some more stuff for them to perch on.....Anyways, I had been using Vaseline but after the frostbite I switched to Bag Balm. Maybe it will be better. It's working wonders on my skin, I've gotten such terrible dry skin from being outside so much with the birds and being really lazy about moisturizing....y'all I am just so tired. Keeping ducks and chickens takes a very special kind of crazy, doesn't it?

I have a single Muscovy inside. The rest I locked in their house, water in a heavy crock surrounded by brick, some.food, and....you guys? I put a heat lamp. I have never used one before, except with chicks and ducklings. This time is because they are shivering and coated with ice. While people tell me they will be fine, I kind of think these ducks have no idea how to stay warm. They want to be in the WIND. While they are coated with ice.

Back
Top Bottom