I hate this polar vortex!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one worried about these crazy temps in northern Ohio! I have my duck and rabbit outside in a pen, but they're each cooped up in their own cages with a heating pan and heat lamp. I just feel so bad because my duck is getting really crabby about being cooped up. He's huffing and puffing and trying to bite me when I change his food, water and straw out. :( Any ideas on how to cheer him up? Hopefully he makes it through these negative temps!
A shatter proof mirror has kept mine pretty busy!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one worried about these crazy temps in northern Ohio! I have my duck and rabbit outside in a pen, but they're each cooped up in their own cages with a heating pan and heat lamp. I just feel so bad because my duck is getting really crabby about being cooped up. He's huffing and puffing and trying to bite me when I change his food, water and straw out. :( Any ideas on how to cheer him up? Hopefully he makes it through these negative temps!

He should have a couple of ladies to keep him company. Ducks are super social.
I made a treat basket with one of those planters that come lined with coconut coir. I lined it with kale, and then layered peas and berries and greens. Something for them to pick at.
You could also let him run around a bit, give him a bath in the bathtub. Toss some snack in for him. Bleach the bath when it's all over. Because eww.
But seriously, ducks should never be kept alone.

He should have a couple of ladies to keep him company. Ducks are super social.
I made a treat basket with one of those planters that come lined with coconut coir. I lined it with kale, and then layered peas and berries and greens. Something for them to pick at.
You could also let him run around a bit, give him a bath in the bathtub. Toss some snack in for him. Bleach the bath when it's all over. Because eww.
But seriously, ducks should never be kept alone.

Thanks for the ideas!! And don't worry, the rabbit and duck share a pen and keep each other company! They just sleep in separate cages at night. Lately they hide in the cages to stay out of the cold though. But they enjoy each other's company. :)

Wow i love the Christmas lights! I get the idea now. I have two dollar bill sized holes where the tarp didnt cover on each side at the top so i think theyre fine for now. Here they are last night
View attachment 1226518View attachment 1226519 View attachment 1226520
I went with the heat lamp because after thinking it over i came to the conclusion that there is a minimal risk of it falling and the extension cord its plugged into is outside of the coop so i feel like the fire risk is small. Cozy isnt it? I almost climbed in and slept there last night.
Also, just a thought, you might want to find a red light verses a white light. The red light might be easier on their eyes.

I hate this cold too. 5 degrees windchill in GA.
Feel so bad for all the birds but haven’t got heat for them. Brought the turkey Tom in for a few minutes because he was shivering. Seemed to help his mood. The others won’t come in.
The coop is hardwire half way up so very open. I have curtains over the hardwire but really — how much does that help with the cold.
Wishing all of you up north well and hope you all get through this.

I hate this cold too. 5 degrees windchill in GA.
Feel so bad for all the birds but haven’t got heat for them. Brought the turkey Tom in for a few minutes because he was shivering. Seemed to help his mood. The others won’t come in.
The coop is hardwire half way up so very open. I have curtains over the hardwire but really — how much does that help with the cold.
Wishing all of you up north well and hope you all get through this.
Cold cold cold.... go away!!! The curtains do help keep in what heat they give off. Every little bite helps

Also wanted to add it’s nice to know others worry as I do. I don’t feel so neurotic.
There’s also the small pond with 3” of ice on it. I have to melt a breathing hole each day for the fish underneath.
Finally I confess I cooked up a pot of rice and lentils with lots of cayenne just for the birds. I go out to de-ice water bowls about 6 Times a day. Guilt is such a powerful motivator.

Back
Top Bottom