I Hate to Say It, But,

Same, Big Boy, my giant Asian black male was giving me the side eye and not giving my space a few times this week. Keeping a close eye on him since he's gotta be double digits weight wise and his food is all on the ground.
This guy is a huge blue laced silver Wyandotte. Was watching him yesterday, his back must be a foot wide. I have no idea what he weighs but I can just get my arm around him good. He is stocky.

If he calms down and I can work in the coop unmolested then he'll father another 3-4 batches of chicks and then I'll sell him as part of a breeding group with a couple of mature hens.
This may be my plan too.

We had a beloved young rooster (like 9 months old) suddenly turn on me and I gave him a few chances. Thankfully his attacks were never that bad but I knew he wasn't going to stay around past winter. Boots and thick pants and coats make the rooster attacks less painful. Summer in shorts and t-shirt ain't happening. He attacked one too many times for no apparent reason so he became soup. Really sucked because we had planned to keep him - he really was awesome until his little hormones kicked in. And he was nice to the hens. Just hated me periodically lol

Personally, if he hasn't shown issues before, I would give him a third strike opportunity. I know it goes against what I usually preach, but it sounds like he's an older male that still hasn't latched on to or kicked out at people, and is starting to feel the season grow favorable. Now granted, that leaves room for a worse attack for the third strike, but I'm just not sure that's going to happen, honestly.
I agree with this. I haven’t read the full thread or checked reply dates, but if this is a one off thing, I otherwise don’t consider a peck as a sign of irreversible aggression. I have two oriental-gamefowl type roosters that are very smart and will sometimes peck me for treats. One will occasionally grab the top of my shorts and pull them down like the dog on the Coopertone add. Flogging is more problematic. Sometimes I think its just a manifestation of intelligence and personalty.

Flogging is different. Flogging is usually irreversible.

Edit: I didn’t look at poster’s name either. Ya’ll know Indo. He’s friendly as can be but uses his mouth to get my attention or express displeasure. Nothing I consider man fighting. He’s just smart and his mouth is the closest thing he has to a hand.

We had a beloved young rooster (like 9 months old) suddenly turn on me and I gave him a few chances. Thankfully his attacks were never that bad but I knew he wasn't going to stay around past winter. Boots and thick pants and coats make the rooster attacks less painful. Summer in shorts and t-shirt ain't happening. He attacked one too many times for no apparent reason so he became soup. Really sucked because we had planned to keep him - he really was awesome until his little hormones kicked in. And he was nice to the hens. Just hated me periodically lol

This fellow is 16 months old, a grown rooster, not just a cockerel.

but if this is a one off thing, I otherwise don’t consider a peck as a sign of irreversible aggression.

The hard peck from behind was the second thing. The day before he'd pushed boundaries on me -- fluffing his hackles and poking his neck out at me -- and refused to yield when I tried to "walk through" him until I pushed him away.

Today he was giving me some space, though not as much as previously. And he was squaring up at me when last summer I had a hard time getting good photos of his chest because he wouldn't square up to me.

We'll see how it goes.

This fellow is 16 months old, a grown rooster, not just a cockerel.

The hard peck from behind was the second thing. The day before he'd pushed boundaries on me -- fluffing his hackles and poking his neck out at me -- and refused to yield when I tried to "walk through" him until I pushed him away.

Today he was giving me some space, though not as much as previously. And he was squaring up at me when last summer I had a hard time getting good photos of his chest because he wouldn't square up to me.

We'll see how it goes.

Hei Hei, when he was around 3 years old, ruffled up at me when I grabbed one of his hens and made her squall. He came charging up to flog me as if I was a predator then stopped himself when I faced him and yelled at him. Instinct was getting the better of him.

I still wouldn’t fret it yet.

Hei Hei, when he was around 3 years old, ruffled up at me when I grabbed one of his hens and made her squall. He came charging up to flog me as if I was a predator then stopped himself when I faced him and yelled at him. Instinct was getting the better of him.

I still wouldn’t fret it yet.

I have been making a hen yell a good deal because Charcoal will not stop flying over the fence even with both wings clipped. (I clipped one and she was out again before I finished collecting the eggs).

But Rameses needs to behave no matter what I'm doing.

I'm hoping it's just him being a little on edge with flowing hormones and sons hitting puberty.

If he calms down and I can work in the coop unmolested then he'll father another 3-4 batches of chicks and then I'll sell him as part of a breeding group with a couple of mature hens.
Perhaps Rameses could be verbally presented with the above positive outcome as to engage his faculties of logic. I once tried this with my rooster:
20230113_160347.jpg
(Not really, though. He was just being nosey about the manual binder😆)

Back
Top Bottom