I have 2 broody hens - what should I incubate??

I'll find out in 6 days! The silkie is down to three now, I put another in the incubator. She just can't seem to organize 4 under her right and I kept finding eggs only half covered. She also craps on them all the time. Or craps near them and then drags the eggs into the poop. This is her first time brooding and I can't say I'm terribly impressed with her motherly instincts. If she manages to hatch anything I will be pleasantly surprised but my expectations are rock bottom low.

Well it's official I am 0 for 12 on the FBCM eggs under broody hens. The silkie kept letting them get cold. I opened them on day 21 (the shells of the 3 had that distinct porcelain sound of a dud) and 2 were rotten, 1 had development but was about day 14 rather than 21 and dead. Oh well. 10 out of 12 in my incubator hatched (I bought a dozen mixed and put them in the inbubator, just in case the moms failed) so I have 3 FBCM, 3 OEs, 3 CCLs and 1 welsummer. Pray for all hens :) Oh, and there is the one last FBCM egg that I took from the silkie a week ago. It may be delayed since it was not incubated properly so I'll let it keep cooking in the incubator. Too bad they are so dark and impossible to candle well.

That's why I am not very fond of silkies. They are good sitters, but not great moms. They also tend to stay at the bottom of the pecking order. My Aseels are much more reliable chicken mamas. I don't even separate them from the flock.

Note: I have never owned silkies, I have just seen them in my friends flock.

Back
Top Bottom