1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have 2 Embdem geese and .........

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickenlady08, Jan 27, 2011.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I still don't know the sexes yet but we got them last May. But I also have plenty of chickens and 2 drakes. They are all housed together and have been since the geese moved outside. My question is How do I stop the geese from pulling the feathers out of my chickens? I have 8 hens seperated from the flock now and for the last week the geese have been sleeping in a coop with the drakes but without the chickens.

Does anyone have any idea of why they are doing this? Is there wany way of making it stop?

Thanks

Lisa

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have 1 emden gander and I'm sure if he could get ahold of them he'd probably pluck them naked, but they have learned to stay away from him and the ducks, unless the rooster is around then the gander runs for his life[he's scared of my little roo] Mine all free range so they can pretty much stay out of each others way.

3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    thank you MsLydia

I haven't been allowing free range for a little while. I have a fox that has gotten one duck and I don't want to lose anthing else. I think they are probably mad at me so they are taking it out on the chickens. We have someone coming to trap the fox(s) so that they can come out and roam but for now I just don't want to have naked chickens in the cold weather we have been having.

It seems like they do it more at night when the chickens are roosting and they can't get away from them and they are quite strong. I am kinda leaning towards ganders as well but not sure. I want to get them mates this spring if they are diff sexes but I dont' know how to tell the difference between girl and boy and I refuse to even to try to sex them.

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Sorry but that is what geese do. They do it to other geese, ducks, chicken, and Humans (Ok I don't have any feathers but my shoe laces and pants legs serve the same purpose) Usually the lesser birds learn to keep out of their reach, but shut in together at night may be the problem,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by