I have a 1 1/2 week old chick and seems to be limping and not using one of her legs...

GoldGirl12222

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2017
It started out one morning. Just not using it. I was really concerned because this was my first chick. I separated her from the others, put probiotics in her water, and held her up while she drank it. Soon after she was back with a tiny limp. Still separated... not sure what it is. Anyone know?

It's really impossible to guess without examining the bird. Does the bad leg feel warm or cold? Does she seem to be in pain if you touch it? Have you examined the bottom of her foot to see if she has any sore/problem there? Could you post a photo of what she looks like (in terms of not using one leg, etc?

@GoldGirl12222 Hi, I had the same with one of my chicks, I was and am still very new to chickens and just like you I had one that was limping and though for sure she wasn't going to make it.
I separated her from the rest, but kept her still in the same brooder with her own water and food, so the rest could see and hear her, but not trample her.
Up til now I have no idea what it was, I kept her apart for a week and by then she was standing and walking normally again. She was visibly smaller than the rest, and she still is but she walks, flies, eats, drinks anything like the rest. She may be at the bottom of the picking order, but she is not a push over :)
Hang in there, your little one may get over it .....

welcome-byc.gif

I hope the ER experts can help you out with your little one.

G’Day from down under GoldGirl12222
frow.gif
Welcome!

I too hope that folks on the ER Forum are able to assist and your little one makes a full recovery. Hopefully, as JolandaH has suggested she 'gets over it'.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

I thought she would get over it, but now she won't move, open her eyes, and eat and drink
1f625.png
We are sure she will die soon

Back
Top Bottom