I have a 3 week old and a one day old

annbacon

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 3, 2007
No. Cal
Hass anyone had any success at introducing chicks of different ages. Will the older ALWAYS peck at the younger?

Yes. what i do that helps ALOT is, put the younger ones in a cage out in the older chickens coop and leave them in the cage for a few weeks or until they are big enough so they can protect themselves.I will let the young ones out for a little while(Supervised) in the morning and in the eavening, Just enough so they can get some exersice and sun. You do not want to leave the babies unsupervised esspecially if they are real little. They could get pecked to death by the older hens.By having them in a cage in the coop, they can all get used to eachother. There will always be "Picking on" behavior between chicks no matter the age. putting the babys in a cage for a while just helps to minimize drama. It has worked for me so far. I have intruduced 2 sets of babys to the big girls coop already and will be introducing another group in about 4 weeks. Good luck.
frow.gif

Last edited:
I have almost 6weekers and 3 weekers. I have for the past 3 weeks had them next to each other in seperate brooders but they are in wire dog kennels wrapped in hardware cloth so they can't get to the younger ones. I did try a couple of times to take an older one out to see the babies right out infront of their brooders but it just got too violent immediately. So with some thought I decided to put them out together for a little outside time in a play yard with some crumbles on the ground to peck at. Since the older ones didn't have any territorialy claims to the area all went REALLY well. They barely even noticed the younger ones. They were all walking amoung each other just being chickens. It was really nice to see since I was so worried. We will probably be putting the older ones in the coop this wednesday and I was going to put the babies in a cage in their, but now I think I'm going to just put all of them in there together since it will b new to all of them and they can explore at the same time. It might make it more peaceful. I'll keep an eye on them, but I think it might be what works best for me. Good luck to you

I had a single 1 week old bantum and 11 standard chicks hatching, the 1st chick that I moved got pecked a bit, but when I added 3 more she knew she was outnumbered and they all got along after that.

Back
Top Bottom