I have a bad luck with goslings and it needs to stop

Dec 6, 2019
Philippines
My ducks and chickens are now in hundreds but my geese are still 7. Why? Goslings always die. I started with free ranging them with their mom. Well the babies got killed by floods, various predators like rats, monitor lizards,hawks and stray dogs, or they got tangled on a vine. Then There is a time when I finally have some goslings who riched 6 weeks but the morons decided to take a swim on basin of water and they are not able to come out leading to drowning.

I can't do the traditional brooder because I live in a place where blackouts are so often. I decided to buy one of those elevated bamboo cages, Metal cages are too expensive here. It is a large cage that the goslings lives with their mom. They are doing well for 2 weeks, They grew fat and strong. Then last night, Rats decided to try pulling down the gosling under the cage. I am traumatized.

I am think of covering that cage with chicken wire but I have no budget yet. I am thinking of raising the goslings in plastic boxes indoors for 5 weeks. Chinese goose only lays twice a year. I have 4 surviving goslings.

This is desperation but I was thinking of raising them on an abandoned toilet. There was a cabin in my backyard. It use to be a bathroom but no one is using it. It doesn't have windows so rats cannot enter. I was thinking of letting the goslings living on that dark room with their mom while thinking of a solution. How come my ducks and chickens are so invasive while I struggle wot make goslings rich adulthood. It's the 4th year of my breeders. I just want to see these 4 goslings reach adult. My goslings who got killed by rats are close to growing feathers.

I’m sorry for your losses! Rats are the worst, I would start by trying to eliminate the rat problem with traps and a dog, terrier, Aussie types are the best ratters, cats only hunt when they feel like it.

Back
Top Bottom