I have a bone to pick with all you incubating ppl...

Your just crazy. Lol.
Now I’m not alone. Thanks for the advice! My friend showed me her operations OMG she has new hatchlings 20 minimum, 3 weeks old 50 2-3 months old 100. 4 months old 50 to 75. She told me to try it, now I won’t!!! I already check my chickens way too much it is crazy. I even and worry about them! I have 8. That’s my limit I just got 4 from this friend added them to my four older ones. Still separating them today is day four. My youngest peep (full Brahma) alone the grey one. Then the white with brown speckles Rhode Island red . The two black are Brahma mixed with barred rock. She showed me all of the moms and dads.
CC186D41-D061-4798-B5EC-0C7BF9F7EEF0.jpeg
ED3BA24F-84A2-4C8C-A3A9-63C08AB21BF8.jpeg

Last edited:
That's an old wives tale. 😉
I've heard people say yes & no to the temperature theory. It may be that temperature affects what gender egg the Mama hen produces, not necessarily changing gender After egg is laid, but rather as the egg is created inside Mama.

There is a member on this site, I recall saying had decades of hatching experience...Spring hatches were a 50/50 ratio hens & cocks, but late summer hatches were mostly hens.
My question is, how does that happen...do hens naturally produce more hens according to what time of year it is?
Is it the weather or length of days that would influence what gender egg that hen will produce? And why? Is it genetically wired? End of season means approaching winter when there would be less foraging food in the wild...or....More hens to produce more offspring to keep the species going next spring, in case many could perish over a brutal winter?

I forgot who, & I'm not sure what month late summer is considered in that person's particular region...Aug? Sept? I can try to do a search to find that post. It is a very interesting concept though.

When I lived 100 miles north, the spring was warm & fall was chilly, but where I live now it's just the opposite, cold til June & warm til Oct. or sometimes still warm til Dec...just depends. Here, my cold (30-45 degrees) Spring hatches were 50/50.
Sept. hatches (60-75 degrees) were indeed all hens. Maybe it has nothing to do with temperature, but rather what season it is.

1 thing I do know...the shape of the egg has Nothing to do with gender. My very 1st newbie hatch were all eggs so round, you couldn't even tell which end was up, & they were 50/50, so we can scrap that theory! 😆

Just my rambling, wondering & pondering 🤔

Last edited:
I've heard people say yes & no to the temperature theory. It may be that temperature affects what gender egg the Mama hen produces, not necessarily changing gender After egg is laid, but rather as the egg is created inside Mama.

There is a member on this site, I recall saying had decades of hatching experience...Spring hatches were a 50/50 ratio hens & cocks, but late summer hatches were mostly hens.
My question is, how does that happen...do hens naturally produce more hens according to what time of year it is?
Is it the weather or length of days that would influence what gender egg that hen will produce? And why? Is it genetically wired? End of season means approaching winter when there would be less foraging food in the wild...or....More hens to produce more offspring to keep the species going next spring, in case many could perish over a brutal winter?

I forgot who, & I'm not sure what month late summer is considered in that person's particular region...Aug? Sept? I can try to do a search to find that post. It is a very interesting concept though.

When I lived 100 miles north, the spring was warm & fall was chilly, but where I live now it's just the opposite, cold til June & warm til Oct. or sometimes still warm til Dec...just depends. Here, my cold (30-45 degrees) Spring hatches were 50/50.
Sept. hatches (60-75 degrees) were indeed all hens. Maybe it has nothing to do with temperature, but rather what season it is.

1 thing I do know...the shape of the egg has Nothing to do with gender. My very 1st newbie hatch were all eggs so round, you couldn't even tell which end was up, & they were 50/50, so we can scrap that theory! 😆

Just my rambling, wondering & pondering 🤔
I think that if temp or humidity had anything at all to do with the sex of chicks, hatcheries wouldn't waste their time, effort, money, resources, and space on hatching out cockerels that nobody wants.

I think that if temp or humidity had anything at all to do with the sex of chicks, hatcheries wouldn't waste their time, effort, money, resources, and space on hatching out cockerels that nobody wants.
Right. I'm just proposing that mama hen's body knows winter is approaching & will naturally create more female eggs. It's all theory, I know. I am by no means any kind of expert at all, I still learn every day of my life, but observations are very interesting.

We can attempt to manipulate indoor lighting & temperatures to mimic the proper conditions...imitate approaching winter. So that leads to another pondering. I know for a fact that after 25 years of various avian types of rescues in my home, that I can dim lights, or cover a parrot cage to get the little chirpers into bedtime mode. Lighting also is reported to keep egg laying going strong daily. However...no matter what you try to do, to control light & temperature, the Feather Molt will still occur in alliance with the season. So somehow, even indoors, their bodies still know what season it is outside. Yup, just interesting stuff.

Is there a thread in how to reverse the fan on the janoel?
Take the lid and remove the two silver screws at the ends on the inside. There are 4 clips that hold the two pieces Together. Carefully separate the clear piece and the white top. The wires will still be attached. You can carefully access the fan without unplugging the wires and totally separating the two pieces. Remove the 4 screws from the fan and flip it over to change the flow Retighten the 4 Fan screws. Pop the two tops back together. Put the 2 lid screws back. Usually takes me 5 to 10 mins

Yep your not alone! I have hatch out over a hundred eggs so far this year. Some for myself and most for everyone one that found out I was hatching out eggs. Even had good luck with a couple dozen shipped eggs.
So Sunday my Mom brought over 43 eggs she wants me to hatch out. They consist of turkey eggs, duck eggs and a few chicken eggs. 🤷‍♀️ So here we go a again.
Updated candle the eggs 27 developing into chicks, turkeys and ducks. 🤞🏻Hope all of them make it through hatching. :pop:jumpy

Take the lid and remove the two silver screws at the ends on the inside. There are 4 clips that hold the two pieces Together. Carefully separate the clear piece and the white top. The wires will still be attached. You can carefully access the fan without unplugging the wires and totally separating the two pieces. Remove the 4 screws from the fan and flip it over to change the flow Retighten the 4 Fan screws. Pop the two tops back together. Put the 2 lid screws back. Usually takes me 5 to 10 mins
Why is this something you would want to do?

Why is this something you would want to do?
Fan should never blow down the center directly on the eggs, creates a hot spot on the center eggs and cold spots on the ends. Reversing the fan to flow thru the top and around like most incubators have that design, creates even temps through and no hot spots.

Back
Top Bottom