I have a bone to pick with all you incubating ppl...

Fan should never blow down the center directly on the eggs, creates a hot spot on the center eggs and cold spots on the ends. Reversing the fan to flow thru the top and around like most incubators have that design, creates even temps through and no hot spots.
Ah. OK, so the incubator mentioned in this post must be designed incorrectly?

Ah. OK, so the incubator mentioned in this post must be designed incorrectly?
Designed by an engineer and pumped out out in a factory. I am sure none actually hatch in it. With the change it becomes quite reliable. Had many 90 to 100 percent hatches. Older brinseas blew down directly on the eggs. Their new models blow up through the top and around It will still work as it comes from the factory this should just produce more consistent hatches. People talk about rotating eggs daily because of hot spots. If you reverse the fan you won’t have too. It’s a pretty easy fix. I build computers and work in IT so reversing a computer fan wasn’t an issue.

With that said I got them very cheap. 89 Canadian new and second was 57 open box on Amazon. So for that price they are great

Last edited:
Designed by an engineer and pumped out out in a factory. I am sure none actually hatch in it. With the change it becomes quite reliable. Had many 90 to 100 percent hatches. Older brinseas blew down directly on the eggs. Their new models blow up through the top and around It will still work as it comes from the factory this should just produce more consistent hatches. People talk about rotating eggs daily because of hot spots. If you reverse the fan you won’t have too. It’s a pretty easy fix. I build computers and work in IT so reversing a computer fan wasn’t an issue.

With that said I got them very cheap. 89 Canadian new and second was 57 open box on Amazon. So for that price they are great
Wow, that's interesting. Thank you for explaining that. I have a Brinsea octagon 40. Does that one have the fan right?

Wow, that's interesting. Thank you for explaining that. I have a Brinsea octagon 40. Does that one have the fan right?
The fan on the 40 blows down on the eggs. If you are getting good hatch rates I would just leave it. I pull mine apart every couple hatches and totally clean the top and fans. The new brinsea ones blow up and around. If your hatches rates are blah then try reversing it for a batch and see if they improve. On the janoel 24 the fan is actually too high flow and creates that hot spot.

https://brinsea.co.uk/latest/faq/ive-just-cleaned-incubator-way-fan-go/

Last edited:
The fan on the 40 blows down on the eggs. If you are getting good hatch rates I would just leave it. I pull mine apart every couple hatches and totally clean the top and fans. The new brinsea ones blow up and around. If your hatches rates are blah then try reversing it for a batch and see if they improve. On the janoel 24 the fan is actually too high flow and creates that hot spot.

Wow! I actually had a really cheap incubator that held 12 eggs and found it gave terrible results. Out of 12 eggs I would. Get 2 or 3 hatching. So I bought a brinsea 40 secondhand and thought this would fix my problem. However, I still am getting a 60% hatch rate at best. The first time I filled it with 48 eggs and only had 18 hatch which is only 40%. I think I might take it apart and have a look. So do I just feel with my hand or face how the fan blows?

My other questions is, why would the brinsea website specify to point the fans down if it is a fault? Wouldn't they tell people to correct the fault?

Wow! I actually had a really cheap incubator that held 12 eggs and found it gave terrible results. Out of 12 eggs I would. Get 2 or 3 hatching. So I bought a brinsea 40 secondhand and thought this would fix my problem. However, I still am getting a 60% hatch rate at best. The first time I filled it with 48 eggs and only had 18 hatch which is only 40%. I think I might take it apart and have a look. So do I just feel with my hand or face how the fan blows?
If you see the fan label it blows down on the eggs. Fans always blow in the direction of the labels. I am getting excellent hatches in the janoel and little giant. But I use a inkbird ith-12 thermometer. Its a Bluetooth and has an app for your phone . Do not trust the incubator temp. All mine run too hot as to what they display. Do not use the 4 dollar black digital rectangular ones they are unreliable. Have 3 and all read different.

Attachments

• 83B18376-F58E-4C11-91A0-620A66A574DE.jpeg
    83B18376-F58E-4C11-91A0-620A66A574DE.jpeg
    502 KB · Views: 3
  • BF35B78A-0B31-4203-B851-3241015AEB51.jpeg
    BF35B78A-0B31-4203-B851-3241015AEB51.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 987B94EA-465D-4EC4-908D-7CFA305C5A12.jpeg
    987B94EA-465D-4EC4-908D-7CFA305C5A12.jpeg
    409 KB · Views: 3
  • 4384D56A-671B-41E6-B908-657F28B04EDE.jpeg
    4384D56A-671B-41E6-B908-657F28B04EDE.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 3
  • B80E7220-03CC-40C2-B4F3-4602EA8AD39B.jpeg
    B80E7220-03CC-40C2-B4F3-4602EA8AD39B.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 3
My other questions is, why would the brinsea website specify to point the fans down if it is a fault? Wouldn't they tell people to correct the fault?
Dunno. The octagon is long I would think the ends would end up much cooler than the centre. I would reverse it and get the thermometer I mentioned and then retry. My last 4 batches were 20 for 20 ducks hatched. 22 eggs put in and 2 were infertile. 10 for 10 on ducks. 17 for 18 on chickens, one died at hatch. 5 for 5 on silkies. Still have 12 duck eggs. Due on Tuesday. Put in 17 and. 5 were infertile Remaining 12 look great I think number one mistake with any incubator is that people rely on the temp the incubator states and don’t calibrate it. Anything can hatch eggs if temps and humidity are correct and stable

Dunno. The octagon is long I would think the ends would end up much cooler than the centre. I would reverse it and get the thermometer I mentioned and then retry. My last 4 batches were 20 for 20 ducks hatched. 22 eggs put in and 2 were infertile. 10 for 10 on ducks. 17 for 18 on chickens, one died at hatch. 5 for 5 on silkies. Still have 12 duck eggs. Due on Tuesday. Put in 17 and. 5 were infertile Remaining 12 look great I think number one mistake with any incubator is that people rely on the temp the incubator states and don’t calibrate it. Anything can hatch eggs if temps and humidity are correct and stable
I will consider getting the thermometer in the future, but for now I started a batch of eggs yesterday and I've just turned the fans around now. I have about a dozen eggs in there. We'll see how it goes.

When I've mentioned my hatch rates to other breeders they have always mentioned humidity. I've played around with that but have never had anything above 60% I really think this could soulve my issues. I'm so wanting the 90% + hatch rates that I read about people getting.

My last batch, only the eggs 10 days old and younger hatched so I thought maybe it was old eggs not hatching but they all developed OK until the about day 19 and then died.

I will consider getting the thermometer in the future, but for now I started a batch of eggs yesterday and I've just turned the fans around now. I have about a dozen eggs in there. We'll see how it goes.

When I've mentioned my hatch rates to other breeders they have always mentioned humidity. I've played around with that but have never had anything above 60% I really think this could soulve my issues. I'm so wanting the 90% + hatch rates that I read about people getting.

My last batch, only the eggs 10 days old and younger hatched so I thought maybe it was old eggs not hatching but they all developed OK until the about day 19 and then died.
Go to YouTube. There are a few videos on getting your humidity up on the octagon

Back
Top Bottom