I have a buff silkie that is 7 months old and it doesn't lay eggs or crow.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cupman, Nov 3, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have this silkie chicken and she is my only bantam. I have seen her show some strange behavior over the last couple weeks such as chasing hens around and I *think* she may have even tried to mount one. I've never seen it fight with any of the roosters and I've never seen a rooster try to mate with it. Like the title says it doesn't crow and it doesn't lay eggs. I think I saw it do that little rooster strut where they put their wing down and shuffle their feet. The comb isn't overly large and neither is the chicken but I really don't know what to think. Can you have a rooster that doesn't crow? Maybe it's a hen with some type of illness preventing it from laying? The weather is still warm here so I don't think it's molting. Anyone have any ideas?

I would post a picture but the weather is so nasty outside that all my chickens are dirty and it would be tough to get a picture. If nobody seems to know I will try to post a picture when it dries out in a couple days.

Thanks.

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    SIlkies tend to lay very late and not very often. My hen is 10 months old and has not laid yet. I was talking to other people on the threads and they all assured me this was normal for a silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by