I have a bumblefoot hen, just about to work on it then

nikischicks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
NE/Mid Ohio
I notice her breathing sounds weird when I am holding her. Like shes raspy. Does this mean the infection has traveled? Otherwise she seems ok, I just noticed her limping yesterday and then read the huge thread last night preparing to do work this morning. Her foot is pretty big with bumps between two toes and its hot. Shes on my porch now yelling to get out. Im worried about this staph, as long as I have gloves on it will be ok right? I also am not going to cut into her if someone thinks that the infection has traveled elsewhere, how would I know this?

rapsy can be gapeworm too.

I've had a weird combo too, my hen prolapsed and when I brought her inside I noticed her wheezing. I'm wondering if it could be a stress thing when they have an injury/pain

Dear lord I dont know, I hope its not something else. I tried to get her on her side with a towel over her, and that was worth nothing. She isnt having it.

Ok, she pooped on the porch and the 'solid' is pretty small the majority of it looks like yellowish milky water. Im really trying to figure out if this infection has spread, does this sound normal?
Her whole leg is a bit bigger than the other and hot also, can anyone chime in on if this will help if I still do surgery?

Last edited:
Morning poop is a little different than the rest, did you try to soak her foot while she stands?
Is she the type, if you massage her a little laying down, that she calms down? Try it, I have some girls will go to sleep if you find the right spot!

If you wrap her in a towel with head covered she should stay calm. I sit down, wrap chicken in towel turn her over on her back and place her in my lap holding her firmly between my knees.

Wear gloves and have tissues or baby wipes handy to clean along the way.

Soak the foot in very warm water to soften it up for surgery. Or use washcloth soaked in hot water and wrap up foot for a few minutes to soften it.

Have a pr. of tweezers handy to pull out the stuff. You can also squeeze it out, gently of course since she is already in pain.

Have blood stop powder on hand if not just use flour to sprinkle on to stop blood flow.

If the foot is hot to touch an infection is present. A shot of antibiotics or powder form in her drinking water might be necessary.

cover her so shes in complete darkness for a while, then take her out in low light and use a torch to inspect her. She'll have gone into roosting mode and be dazed when you get her out. So she shouldn't fight as much

Sounds like infection to me. Baytril works best on bumblefoot but you can only get it at a vet. I have worked on many baumbles without gloves and never got a staph infection but if you have any immuno problems or are prone to infections by all means wear gloves. Usually we have 2 people when we work on a bumble, much easier. Soak her feet first for about 15 minutes in Epsome salt water. That will soften the scab. I always let mine bleed. They wont bleed alot. The bleeding helps flush some of the infection out. Chickens puss is not like ours. It is more solid and cheesy. Thats why you need the tweezers to pull it out. Then pack with antibotic cream and wrap with a piece of gause and vet wrap. Do this everyday. You can get penicillin or Tylan at the feedstore to give her. Duramycin wont work. It will also help if she has any respritory problems going on.

Last edited:
Ok, so when I get down to it i'm almost sure I cant cut into her. I had just put it out of my head when I was getting ready for it and when I get down to it, I just cant.

Back
Top Bottom