I have a canning questions-- so confused!

TyrannosaurusChix

Songster
9 Years
Jul 13, 2010
Savannah, NY
I am processing our meat chickens on the 15th and 16th, and plan on cutting up at least half of the chickens, which means, i will have parts and carcasses that i could make chicken stock with. This is my plan. I have been reading on how to can these and now i am super CONFUSED!! m mil cans in an open pot, and i dont feel confident about doing that, so i have decided i will have to get a pressure canner. HOWEVER...

If i am supposed to skim the fat off of the stock before canning does this mean i have to let it cool first and then reheat and then do the hot canning method with the pressure canner?

Straighten me out, PLEASE!!! recipes are very welcomed( the recipe from frugal still has me confused on this type of thing but others i will welcome!)

Thanks!

also everything i have read pretty much assumes you know SOMEthing about canning.. so if anyone can lay some things out to me in order what to do that would be very helpful!

Quote:
Skim the fat off while you are cooking the stock, and I always pack hot. Anything with a meat product in it goes into a pressure canner vs. water bath for safety reasons. Tips for packing hot... Clean jars and rings check, lids check jars... Well, cant put hot stuff in cold jars unless you want a mess so while boiling water to sterilize lids and rings heat oven to 170 and put jars on cookie tray. Let them stay heated for a bit. It makes sure they are sterile and you don't worry about thermal cracking... Just make sure the water in the pressure canner is also warm/hot when you put jars in... then follow canning directions
smile.png
voila

When my mom and I can things using the pressure canner, we wash the jars in hot soapy water, rinse them with hot water, boil a teapot full of water and pour that over the lids in a bowl and around the rims of the jars (some runs into the jars). Then just grab them with a hot pad and dump the water down the drain before you pack the jars. The jars are sterile and warm enough not to crack.

Never can anything with meat in it using a water bath method.

Quote:
the fat from chickens is a white foam on top of the water
smile.png
You'll see! When boiling, its easy to separate.

Quote:
smile.png

LOL ok!!! Gosh.. for some reason.. i feel old.. older than my years talking about canning... storing up for zombie attacks LOL

How are potatos?( i am so bad about just using flakes) can i can just onions?( i like onions on my onions)
gig.gif

Quote:
smile.png

LOL ok!!! Gosh.. for some reason.. i feel old.. older than my years talking about canning... storing up for zombie attacks LOL

How are potatos?( i am so bad about just using flakes) can i can just onions?( i like onions on my onions)
gig.gif

http://www.pickyourown.org/canning_potatoes.htm

I love this website
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom