I have a chick....UPDATE with pics

texaschickmama

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Poolville, TX
The mama hen is sitting on her egg in a nest that I'm afraid is too far off the ground and the chick will fall. The egg is pipped and when I whistle to it I can hear the chickie, too cool. Should I leave it alone or move mama and egg to a comfortable cage that I have ready with food and water and a nest box with wood shavings? Please give me some advice.

Last edited:
Yes, unfortunately it is the "lone egg" that is left. She started out with 10, 2 got knocked out of the nest, 4 got eaten by a snake because they disappeared, and the rest were duds, well except this one.

I have moved her to a nice secure cage with a box and I have wood shavings in it. She has food, water, and is sitting nicely on the egg. Now, will she keep it warm enough or should I get a heat lamp on them?

The hen should keep it nice and warm for the chick.

But also this all depends on if their inside, outside, and the current tempeture, but I would leave them to be.

Best Of Luck!
smile.png

Well, it's going to be 66 degrees tonight and she is very well protected in her cozy little cage. She is on my front porch and I have something around the outside of the cage and a little pool on top of the cage. She is away from any wind that might be blowing. I think she will keep the little one warm. I have her right outside my picture window in the front of the house so I can check on her without really disturbing her. She is a good mama. She doesn't even peck me back when I mess with her. I call her Curly Sue because her feathers are kind of curly at the ends, especially when broody.
lol.png

Come on little one.
jumpy.gif
I did hear the chick earlier when I whistled at it, the kids got a kick out of that.

Last edited:
I can still hear it chirping when I chirp at it. I sure hope it hatches, this is our VERY first chick to hatch here. It will have lots of playmates in a week and two.

Well, yesterday was very exciting around here. We got to watch this little chickie hatch from pip to zip to popping right out of that egg. The kids were amazed. It was so cool.

4047_100_2450.jpg

4047_100_2461.jpg

4047_100_2466.jpg

It was so cute how the hen softly clucked to the chick, also how she has taught her to eat and drink. Cool. They are resting comfortably together under a heat lamp in their cage on my front porch.
roll.png
We watch them from our front window.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom