I have a couple of (probably really stupid) beginner questions...

Firstly...do I leave the brooder lamp on 24/7? I'm a bit leery of having it on overnight while I'm upstairs sleeping. The set up is in our kitchen with the rabbit and ratties (large kitchen, away from all food, counters, stove, etc!). It's a large cardboard box, straw, and brooder lamp...
I had the same concern. That's why I bought and installed a new smoke detector. The one that was in the same room with them was about due for replacement anyway.
wink.png

And don't forget to take pictures! I've had mine for a total of 9 days and I can't believe how much they've grown!

250w heat lamp is quite a bit of heat and power. I know it's the first thing we think of getting to heat but any incandescent bulb produces heat. As it stays on 24/7 some like to purchase colored bulbs, thought is bright light keeps them awake and cranky so more pecking of one another. Any 100w bulb or even less produces that wattage of heat. If you find your heat lamp is 2 ft and higher from chicks to make for that 90F (about now should be, one week old, and going 5 F lower each week) temp then just replace it with lower watt bulb and lower lamp. Even without a thermometer you can see them huddle under lamp or stay away from it to prompt you to raise lamp or lower the wattage of bulb.

We don't hatch many chicks here so use a plastic tote for first few weeks and 100W bulb. Change that to a 60w bulb second week then move to dog cage kennel and back to 100w as their now put in unheated back shed then they go outside at 4 to 5 weeks without any heat as it's spring and they are fully feathered.

Last edited:
Thank you, egghead! I do have the red-colored heating lamp right now. I may replace tomorrow with a lower watt bulb. Are they a full week old now? I just got them two days ago! I was going to raise it on Monday, since that'll be a week? I thought they were about a day old when I got them. LOL!

I'm glad to hear they can go out at 4-5 weeks, instead of six like I thought. I'm allergic to birds, and they're starting to make my eyes itchy already!

We ended up with six straight run Americaunas and four sexed red pullets. I have no idea what breed the pullets are...I will probably be posting pics to find out.

Also...at what age will I know if I have roosters...? (we don't want any roosters here)

Thanks!

Be careful. Not ALL chick food has grit. Actually most dosn't. Most chick grit says on it to not feed until 1 week old. Which is when I start feeding treats. But if your not feeding treats. There is no need for the grit. Make sure it is CHICK grit.
Edited to add: Red heat bulbs are better for the chicks. It helps prevent pecking. They tend to be hotter and need to be raised higher.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom