I have a deformed fizzle chick

AmberWilliams722

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2020
hello! I'm new here, I joined because I recently adopted a 5week old silkie/fizzle chick that is deformed, its leg grew sideways, like it bend at the knee in the egg and is sticking off to the side? It hops on one leg very well and uses its wings to help balance itself, the lady I got it from said they didn't think it'd live but has proven to be strong willed. Its a very sweet chick, it loves people, it eats drinks and potties normally.its in the brooder with my 2 4 week old chicks and 2 4 week old pheasants and is doing well with them but I don't believe she will be able to handle herself out in the pen with my.older ones when time comes, I would likento keep her inside with trips outside, is that possible? You can see in the 2nd photo foot on the side

Attachments

• 20200602_082609.jpg
    20200602_082609.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200602_082418.jpg
    20200602_082418.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 35
Absolutely. House Chickens are a thing now, and as someone that has one, I can say that it's a blast. There are all sorts of forums and FB groups that you can join for advice.

Were both of the chicks parents frizzles? When two frizzles are bred together, some of the chicks do get deformed. The best way to breed frizzles is to cross a frizzle with a normal feathered chicken, so the chicks don't get deformities.

Were both of the chicks parents frizzles? When two frizzles are bred together, some of the chicks do get deformed. The best way to breed frizzles is to cross a frizzle with a normal feathered chicken, so the chicks don't get deformities.
I'm not sure if both were i saw the.mom, but the older lady i got it from didnt say what the dad was she had tons of silkies I actually went to get 2 young roos and saw this little one and she said i could just take it

Absolutely. House Chickens are a thing now, and as someone that has one, I can say that it's a blast. There are all sorts of forums and FB groups that you can join for advice.
Hey!may I ask how you keep your house from stinking like chicken ? My husband hates the smell and i really wanna keep her Inside and I tried to find fb groups and I couldn't :0

Hey!may I ask how you keep your house from stinking like chicken ? My husband hates the smell and i really wanna keep her Inside and I tried to find fb groups and I couldn't :0

My house rooster doesn't have that 'coopy-chicken smell,' but my outside chickens do so I know what you're talking about. That's a kind of environmental thing, though. Like, you smell like smoke if you live with a smoker so chickens are going to smell like their housing.

I have pretty bad allergies so I run an air purified to help with critter dander - dog, cat, chicken - so that helps. I never expected one chicken to produce so much dander. My guy also wears a diaper so he's not pooping all over the place and can have free run of the house. That helps with the smell, too. I think the biggest help, though, is the weekly baths. My guy is a messy eater because of his cross beak. I think all of those things work together to keep it all in check.

PM one of the admins of this group to get added. I believe they also run the house chicken group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/502385220514214/

My house rooster doesn't have that 'coopy-chicken smell,' but my outside chickens do so I know what you're talking about. That's a kind of environmental thing, though. Like, you smell like smoke if you live with a smoker so chickens are going to smell like their housing.

I have pretty bad allergies so I run an air purified to help with critter dander - dog, cat, chicken - so that helps. I never expected one chicken to produce so much dander. My guy also wears a diaper so he's not pooping all over the place and can have free run of the house. That helps with the smell, too. I think the biggest help, though, is the weekly baths. My guy is a messy eater because of his cross beak. I think all of those things work together to keep it all in check.

PM one of the admins of this group to get added. I believe they also run the house chicken group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/502385220514214/
Great thank you! I have diapers on the way and a special chest pad. How do you give baths?! May sound silly but it my first time with chickens lol

I use a large plastic tote. I fill it with a couple of inches of warm water and add some Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo. I use a jar to scoop the soap water and just pour it over him. Careful not to get it in his eyes. I don't really scrub, but I do brush him with a cheap plastic comb. Then I rinse him. I use the shower sprayer, which has an adjustable head so I make sure to use the gentle stream.

It doesn't take long to bathe him, but it takes forever ever to blow dry him. I dry him off with a towel first and then fluff his feathers and down as I blow dry him.

It's important to go easy and take it slow when giving them a bath.

YouTube has some good videos.

I use a large plastic tote. I fill it with a couple of inches of warm water and add some Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo. I use a jar to scoop the soap water and just pour it over him. Careful not to get it in his eyes. I don't really scrub, but I do brush him with a cheap plastic comb. Then I rinse him. I use the shower sprayer, which has an adjustable head so I make sure to use the gentle stream.

It doesn't take long to bathe him, but it takes forever ever to blow dry him. I dry him off with a towel first and then fluff his feathers and down as I blow dry him.

It's important to go easy and take it slow when giving them a bath.

YouTube has some good videos.
Thank you for all the info! I did join that group too! I dont think pogo is fully feathered yet ,im.not sure shes got curly wings and a.fuzzy body lol

It's my understanding that Frizzles have very delicate feathers. They tend to go bald after their first molt and the new feathers are stronger. I guess I'd take to other Frizzle owners about their grooming process.

Back
Top Bottom