I have a few questions before hatching

FC16

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK 🇬🇧
So I’m in day 16 now of egg hatching and have a few questions. It’s my first time hatching and had 4 spare eggs to I only put 4 in (I’m aware they probably won’t all hatch)

1. When candling the eggs yesterday I can’t see much at all, is this normal? (I can see a little movement though)

2.I have these little dividers for the eggs which I’ve kept them in, Should I take them out for lockdown as I will no longer need to turn them and it would give more room for the chicks to hatch wouldn’t it?

3. I have difficulty in this incubator with adding humidity (it’s not very practical when you’re trying to add water), during lockdown will I be okay to quickly lift of the lid and pour water in each day? (It will probably be about a 15-20 second procedure?

thanks 😁

Attachments

• 398E19D6-F9E3-43C6-A20C-8099B04B01A5.jpeg
    398E19D6-F9E3-43C6-A20C-8099B04B01A5.jpeg
    444.7 KB · Views: 7
  • BDE877BC-2FD9-4A60-AB04-783810C76362.jpeg
    BDE877BC-2FD9-4A60-AB04-783810C76362.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 4
So I’m in day 16 now of egg hatching and have a few questions. It’s my first time hatching and had 4 spare eggs to I only put 4 in (I’m aware they probably won’t all hatch)

1. When candling the eggs yesterday I can’t see much at all, is this normal? (I can see a little movement though)

2.I have these little dividers for the eggs which I’ve kept them in, Should I take them out for lockdown as I will no longer need to turn them and it would give more room for the chicks to hatch wouldn’t it?

3. I have difficulty in this incubator with adding humidity (it’s not very practical when you’re trying to add water), during lockdown will I be okay to quickly lift of the lid and pour water in each day? (It will probably be about a 15-20 second procedure?

thanks 😁
1.Yes it’s normal not to see much movement, the chick has pretty much filled up all the space inside the egg so you won’t see much at this point.
2. I would take out the dividers.
3.Best if you do not open the incubator if you can during lockdown. You can also wait until DAY 19 for lockdown. They really only need the increased humidity when they are hatching.What is your current humidity?

thanks 😁
Take out the dividers on day 18 as you prepare them for lockdown.

To provide additional humidity, you can add a clean water moist sponge or even two. For best effect stand it on the outer long side (see picture), as this will almost double the evaporation surface.

1632993001388.png

BUT: What is the max. humidity your incubator will provide without additional procedures?
For lockdown and the following days until hatch they need about 65%, max. 70%.
Anything higher will interfere with the much needed exchange of oxigen, making it even harder for them to summon up their muscle strenght to hatch. So don't forget to open up the ventilation/air inlets!

Good luck!

Take out the dividers on day 18 as you prepare them for lockdown.

To provide additional humidity, you can add a clean water moist sponge or even two. For best effect stand it on the outer long side (see picture), as this will almost double the evaporation surface.

View attachment 2850904

BUT: What is the max. humidity your incubator will provide without additional procedures?
For lockdown and the following days until hatch they need about 65%, max. 70%.
Anything higher will interfere with the much needed exchange of oxigen, making it even harder for them to summon up their muscle strenght to hatch. So don't forget to open up the ventilation/air inlets!

Good luck!
Thankyou!

Today is day 18 so I’ve put the eggs into lockdown
I quickly candled them just before
In 2 of the eggs I could actually feel and see movement which is very exciting
In the other 2 I couldn’t see much at all, although the shells are a lot darker (not sure if this means anything)
excited for hatching day now!

Back
Top Bottom