i have a group of game hens and they wont lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken pro, Jan 18, 2014.

1. chicken pro

chicken pro Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    does anybody know why my game hens wont lay? they have been de wormed they eat everything and i feed them oyster shells and still nothing

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    spring is coming, be patient

3. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    How old are they? Did you raise them yourself from chicks or did you buy them as adults?

4. chicken pro

Jan 18, 2014
    I got them from a friend that had them as chicks they will be a year February 1st

5. chicken pro

Jan 18, 2014
    Don't they lay year round like laying hens?

6. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I, too, have an OEGB (2 years old) that hasn't produced an egg since August. She stopped laying when her little flock mate went broody. She appears to be very healthy. -eats very well, has plenty of spunk and energy - scratches around the lawn with the flock. -no signs or symptoms of any illness. -has confounded me. -other bantams are laying around 5 eggs a piece per week. -have also wondered if this is something specific to game birds.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  7. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    I've had OEGB, and no, they don't produce like egg-laying specific breeds do, often not laying through the winter months, and resuming in spring. During their prime, they laid roughly 3-4 eggs a week. However, not being egg laying 'machines' increases their laying longevity: I had an 8 year old hen still giving me a few eggs during the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by