I have a hen with a cat eye on one side and a frog shaped pupil on the other... She has had them since a chick...

Kiti008

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2020
My hens were all born around 1st week of June last year! I had the most beautiful eyed chick. She has always had the weirdest eyes with one being slit up and down and the other slit is left to right.... Yesterday we got the first true affirmation that she is going blind!!!! She walked into a wall trying to find a doorway ( don't worry it was not hard enough to hurt her...) . I think she has been this way for awhile(blind in one eye.) She is the baby that dunks her whole head to drink, misses food in your hand, and even a a couple week old she would be the nosiest chick trying to find the group... We never really thought about her being blind. She stands in the water to get drinks now. She adapts very well. Someone brought up that she might have Mareks. But she has no signs but this... and no one else in my flock shows signs. ( and wouldn't she be dead by now if it was?) Should we worry?
A couple people say it is a genetic thing. Any ideas out there?

My hens were all born around 1st week of June last year! I had the most beautiful eyed chick. She has always had the weirdest eyes with one being slit up and down and the other slit is left to right.... Yesterday we got the first true affirmation that she is going blind!!!! She walked into a wall trying to find a doorway ( don't worry it was not hard enough to hurt her...) . I think she has been this way for awhile(blind in one eye.) She is the baby that dunks her whole head to drink, misses food in your hand, and even a a couple week old she would be the nosiest chick trying to find the group... We never really thought about her being blind. She stands in the water to get drinks now. She adapts very well. Someone brought up that she might have Mareks. But she has no signs but this... and no one else in my flock shows signs. ( and wouldn't she be dead by now if it was?) Should we worry?

No need to worry if this thing is since she was a chick I know my friend Dinalle have chick once with beautiful genetic eye discoloration then she breed many like her ..

Chickens genes are amazing some of them have different colors and formation I think you have one that have genetic discoloration which is completely normal even rare ❤️

Can you post some photos of her eyes?
If you have some when she was younger that would be interesting too.

Thanks for helping.....I really appreciate it!!!! Her eyes are beautiful. She is a pure black chicken with one little speck of white on her wing tips. Her eyes are almost like a hazel mixed with brown, and I think she is only blind in one. She does seem to blink if we get to close on the one side. but this standing in the water to get a drink is new.....along with the clucking-yell to tell me she needs in the coop to lay her egg. We also came to this conclusion when she was standing next to her sister hen and was fine but when the sister got on her blind side she went crazy telling the flock she had disappeared. The sister hen walked over to her good side like to say I am still here and she was ok again... It is amazing to watch the 2 take care of each other!!!

This is dated Aug 31, then Sept 9 and lastly Nov 2. Sorry I don't have newer ones! I think this is her good side. because it is the one she watches the people out of, and also you can see in the last picture she is in the sun and it is dilated. the first 2 she was in shade and it was large. It also hasn't seemed to change color or shape. The pictures don't show the green it them either. LOL

Attachments

• 1611462488105.JPEG
    1611462488105.JPEG
    381.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200909_144922 (2).jpg
    20200909_144922 (2).jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20201102_104231 (2).jpg
    20201102_104231 (2).jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 32
This is dated Aug 31, then Sept 9 and lastly Nov 2. Sorry I don't have newer ones! I think this is her good side. because it is the one she watches the people out of, and also you can see in the last picture she is in the sun and it is dilated. the first 2 she was in shade and it was large. It also hasn't seemed to change color or shape. The pictures don't show the green it them either. LOL
I found this also!!!

When a hen is in her peak laying years it can wash out the colors from certain areas of her body – most notably legs, combs, wattles and even her eye color. This condition is known as “Hen’s Eye”

If she's had these problems since very young it may be a genetic defect.
Sounds like she's learning to adapt. You will want to watch to make sure she's getting to food/water and not getting picked on, but otherwise I would just enjoy her, she's a lovely hen.

Back
Top Bottom