I Have A Lonely Chicken.... *Confusion Cleared Out, Read again!*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Amitist, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Amitist

Amitist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Erlanger, KY
    Well 4 months (not really sure) ago, I got 3 chicks. All were healthy and in like 3 weeks.. 2 of them died [​IMG] The survivor was still healthy and just walked around and stuff... Now its all grown and it still doesn't have any other chickens with her. I want to get more chicks for it, but my dad said "Wait till we move to a bigger house, which will be this spring or winter" WINTER WOULD BE TERRIBLE FOR DAY OLD CHICKS AND SPRING IS GONNA BE IN A LONG TIME!! See for one chicken we don't really need a coop yet... My parents think its unneccesary to get more and build a coop, when we are gonna move in a "little" bit we will. They are also mad at me because I wasn't responsible and let those 2 chicks die.. but I kept the best care of them! They just died and that happens some times but my parents just don't get it. Now my one chicken just hangs out alone.. Whenever I come outside, it runs up to me looking for company... Waiting for spring won't be that bad.... Right?

Let me clear out some confusion, It walks around in a closed yard everyday and i bring it in at night. I have a nice, spacious brooder for it and 1 chicken can live there. I also know the breed I have is very cold hardy so Winter should not be a problem for it. I just don't want it to be lonely.... Maybe I should rehome it and maybe start over but this time I won't make the same mistakes like the first time. I am very new to the chicken businness so please give me some slack. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    First of all, the chicken really does need a place to be warm in winter. I don't know where you live, but I wouldn't just let him roam with no shelter. Even a doghouse from Craig's list would be better than nothing. Chickens are flock animals and I assume they do get lonely. Good luck.
    J

3. lothefarmer

lothefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    CA
    WINTER WOULD BE TERRIBLE FOR DAY OLD CHICKS AND SPRING IS GONNA BE IN A LONG TIME!!

um, if you keep them in a brooder, they shouldn't get cold, right?​

4. pnuts

pnuts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    you could buy a full grown hen from someone in your area

5. chillmiller

chillmiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    i dont mean to be rude and i cant convay tne over the interwebs , but did you really expect all 3 little fuzzy butts to live ...

you could have a great hatch and first day ... and then boom 1 drops off the next day for not apperent reason it happens its always sad when it does but its for better to have to many the not enough i just got my order in before mcmurry starts trying to unlode the horrid turkins to everyone and i ordered 30 st run chicks for the simple reason is that again sad to say but *some will die* if you have the best set up in the world out little fuzzy butt half brained friends are sometimes born with alittle less than half a brain

+ st run really work if you **DON'T name them** at first... i should say as st run you never now what your gonna get 15 cockrels 15 pullets or 20 c and only 10 pullets but if you have dogs and a strong heart... you can take the unwanted roo's and lets say "CLEAN" them boil em up in to broth de bone it all and mix it in with the dogs food ( i do that as i have 10 large dogs) if you cant do that than put an add on craigslist even if its for a buck a roo you will even out to a nice stable back yard flock

sorry for your loss though its always sad and a lonley chicky is the most depressing thing for the time being try finding it a buddy even if its a free roo it will like the company

and get your self a small dog house or something for the poor little thing winters creepin up fast

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Waiting for spring would VERY bad. It's only early November - that is many long cold months ahead. It's not right and not kind.

The kindest thing you could do for this lone and lonely survivor is to find her a wonderful home with folks who can give her the proper care (safety, feathered friends****, a comfortable house, great nutrition, etc.). Based only on your post here, it does not sound like your parents are willing to provide these things in a timely fashion, which would be NOW. She has been alone and lonely far too long already. She is at risk from predators,, she should not be out at night - she should be safely in a protective coop every single night of her life. This situation is a mess.

**** This has to be done carefully so she doesn't get picked on

JJ

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  7. blacksilkie

blacksilkie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    I see you are in Kentucky I have a few 4 week old chicks I don't need if you are not too far away I am in south central Kentucky. I could let you have one or two:) send me a PM if you want

8. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I'm with JJ. All those long, cold, lonely nights of winter would be very cruel. Either get her some friends, or find her a new home. Quickly.

9. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm sorry you lost your other two chicks. Chickens are very social creatures, and your chick definitely needs a a buddy. The best thing to do if you can't provide that, along with a proper coop, is to find her a good home.

10. luvzmychickens

luvzmychickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    untill u can get more chicks or chickens give as much attention to your chicken as possible

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by