I have a lot of questions!

MaggieRae

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 12, 2009
North Texas
Two months ago I ordered my chickens and since then I've had a countdown going on between me and all my friends. I was so excited there were only twelve days left I didn't realize there are ONLY TWELVE DAYS LEFT! Oh my... I've done SO much research, half of which was on BYC... But I want to double check seeing as I'll only have a couple of days to set everything up.

1). You do use paper towels as bedding in the brooder for the first 3 days right?
2). After that, I was planning on using pine shavings... I don't know what type to use or where I can buy some. There are plenty of feed and tack stores, but I wanted to know if I could use the same pine shavings bedding I use for my horses? I'm expecting not.
3). What type of light should I get???
4). I've been hearing all sorts of different lengths of time for how long I keep the chickies in the brooder. How long did you?
5). I would like fertile eggs, but I'm not getting a roo. I'm worried about the noise levels... Are there any advantages to having a roo?

Ok, that's all I have right now, but I'm sure there will be more.

1). You do use paper towels as bedding in the brooder for the first 3 days right?

Right.

2). After that, I was planning on using pine shavings... I don't know what type to use or where I can buy some. There are plenty of feed and tack stores, but I wanted to know if I could use the same pine shavings bedding I use for my horses? I'm expecting not.

Why not? Is there some chemical or additive in the shavings that could harm chicks? Life does not have to be hard.

3). What type of light should I get???

A red heat light. The red keeps them calmer than a white light and reduces the chance of cannibalism.

4). I've been hearing all sorts of different lengths of time for how long I keep the chickies in the brooder. How long did you?

This does vary depending on your circumstances and weather. I kept mine in the brooder for just under 4 weeks. The brooder was in the coop. They are now loose in the coop but not yet in the run. I'll probably let them in the run at 6 weeks. Once I open the door, they are in the run. I would not want them out in the rain yet.

5). I would like fertile eggs, but I'm not getting a roo. I'm worried about the noise levels... Are there any advantages to having a roo?

Some people like the personality. If you free-range your flock, a rooster will provide some protection. Unless you have a burning desire for fertile eggs or having a rooster for the personality, you really don't need one.

I keep my chicks in a large indoor rabbit cage. why not try to use hay like for barns. My chicks love it and its easy to clean and is also comfy for them at night.Depending on what type of waterer you buy, the pine shavings will get into the waterer faster. I use a 100 or 150 watt heat lamp and a small heating pad. It does its job and havent had any problems yet. What ever bedding you do use, I find its good to use a square tile to put food and water on so the bedding doesnt get into the dishes so fast.

Yes, it's the same pine shavings you use for the horses. You can buy a clear or red brooding light. I've used both. Some say they can sleep better at night with the red one.
They should be kept in the brooder until they feather out fully around 7-8 wks but they can go outside for a while and play too. If it's hot out I turn the light off, but mine are in a brooder in the coop.
The advantage of a roo is fertile eggs and you said you want those. I happen to like the noise they make but if you live in the city it may be a problem.
Relax and enjoy!
smile.png

I don't live out in the city, and I too like the noise. The problem is we have neighbors... Not too close, we're on 2 acres. But, we're putting the chickies in the center of the property. We have older neighbors on our south side, and I don't want them complaining. They only come to this house a couple of times a month, and only on the weekends. Still... They're very uppity.

Back
Top Bottom