1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a mean rooster!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mother hen to many!, Nov 5, 2008.

1. mother hen to many!

mother hen to many! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    I was told last night that I have a fighting rooster. He has become meaner as he grows and tried to attack me yesterday evening. I am scared of him and dont know what to do with him. Can anyone help me?

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I had same problem. I had to give him away to someone. I have 2 small children and he was mean to them but he would also sneak on me if I turned my back. I tried to "reform" him with the advice of people on here but it made him worse. Best of luck!

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, get rid of him. I tried many of the 'trainings' that people suggested on this forum, but unless you have a lot of free time to train him, I suggest killing him.

I'm really a softy, but there are many sweet roosters who need homes... so keeping a mean one doesn't make much sense to me.

4. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

If you give him away, make sure it's not to a family with young children.

5. kobesmom81

kobesmom81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Atwater, CA
    I don't know what to tell you to do with him but we have about 7 "fighting" roos and none of them are mean at all. They are kept apart from each other but we do spend quite a bit of time with them and talk to them so they are used to us. On the other hand, we have a silkie roo who is kind of onery. Not to the point where he is scary but he and I have had words and he is learning who the boss is at our house! Sorry, I couldn't be more help. I don't think that he is mean just because he is game fowl though.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

7. mother hen to many!

mother hen to many! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    Thank you all. I am going to call the guy and ask him to come get him. He said yesterday that he would bring me a easter hen to trade. I dont know what he means by easter hen. I am sauming its a hen with bright colored feathers. So I guess it would be a pretty trade....lol

8. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
  9. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I have the same trouble with one of our roosters. He attacks if I turn my back on him Otherwise he runs when I enter the coop. I would get rid of him in a minute but he belongs to my grandson. He picked him the very first time fhe opened the box He could always tell which one he was even when they all looked alike. The man who is bringing you the hen means an easteregger. Its a hen that lays green eggs They are very good layers and if you have children they can have green eggs and ham. lol

10. californiachick74

californiachick74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern California
    I had the same problem with my rooster. Suddenly he just started attacking me. Id go in to collect the eggs and when my back was turned he'd attack. Best advice that I got and HAS worked is go in there with a broom or something to that effect and then ruffle his feathers. Basically attack him first. He will fly at you a few times and you just hit him back. Trust me hit him like you mean it. You need to show him you are the ALFA hen of the flock. It does sound cruel but it will work. My roo doesnt bother me anymore though I still go in with the broom just in case and he will run from me everytime. Good luck. Hope this helps.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by