I have a mixed bunch of hormonal chooks - what is a guy supposed to do

Ali Adnan

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 3, 2009
Koycegiz
I started my chook adventures just a few months ago, so it's all a bit bizarre still for us.

We have a 7000m2 citrus fruit orchard in South West Turkey, so got the chickens to keep the scorpions at bay, and for some eggs. Glad to say, they are doing both jobs satisfactorily.

However, what a bunch of mad chooks they are.

We had 1 rooster (Fred) and 3 hens to start, all quite young. One small red hen (Audrey) was often excluded from things, a blong gal that 'rules' (Tilly) and a little black speckled thing (Kitty) who has a stinky attitude. Then we added 2 more beige hens, normal looking, about a month later, called Mandie and Millie. They refuse to sleep indoors, preferring one of the trees.

I built a hen house 1.5m x 2.5m with 2 storeys, 3 boxes up top, a rail, ramp etc etc. Positive luxury compared to most 'boxes' they stuff the flocks into here. Anyway, they seem to like it, and lay in the box where I put 2 hard boiled eggs. All very civilized.

Then Kitty, the black speckled hen, started to sit. I gave her 7 eggs and separated her into her own run, 5 hatched 2 weeks ago (1 chick is being hand reared after being kicked out). Currently, she is in a wire covered run (1.5m x 2.0m), with her own large fruit crate box with a door. Seems ok with her chicks.

Then Mandie (new gal) started to sit. She is also now in her own crate with a 1m x1m attached run, sat on 9 eggs, due next week.

Audrey (small red hen, often excluded), fell out with Fred, big time. Went off on her own for 10 days. Came back recently, but as a young rooster (ok, so I got that one wrong). Fred chases him everywhere, but he's faster. Called him Nigel now, not Audrey by the way. Lives in another tree.

So now I have a chicken house with just Fred and Tilly in there at nights. Millie is in the pear tree nearby, but socializes and lays ok, so no problem with her. Mandie and Kitty are in their own pens, with chicks, or soon to have.

Questions:

Do I have to keep all 3 'sets' apart, and for how long? I want to get them all together eventually.
Will Nigel ever be accepted?
Will Nigel be ok once the chicks grow; maybe he can have some girlies of his own that way?

And I thought the fuit farming time consuming, these chooks are mad, but great fun too.

Love your names! my feather footed flock-I have the prettiest Blu Bantam Cochin roo who will fight w any roo. He has even taken on a standard cochin roo. I have to keep him penned up. All the other roos can be together. So its on an individual basis. My large flock consists of 24 hens and 2 roos, they can be all to gether. In this flock my old bantam blk cochin roo kicks butt. He will even run off the geese. I let him w the lg flock when they are free to run but I do not penn him w all of them. He sleeps seperate. Soooo you may be able to get them together but you may not...Good luck!!!

I find it amusing that your first responce will be fom me (100% Armenian) but I do not have the old feelings my parents and grandparents have, life is too short for such hard feelings
big_smile.png

I would infact love to see Turkey
smile.png

Yes once the chicks get older you should be able to get everyone into their own flock again, and with the new chicks you will probably get just enough to have 2 roos (the younger oe will figure it out a snag a few ladies for himself.

You are also gonna get more roo's in this hatch and since the best ratio is about 10 hens to 1 roo you will have too many.

So are you willing to eat or sell the extras? either is good but I would not recomend less than 6 hens per roo if you can help it.

What fruit trees do you grow?

Welcome to BYC
big_smile.png

Well, teenagers can often be REALLY moody and difficult. Doesn't seem to matter if they are people teenagers, chicken teenagers or DUCK teenagers.
tongue.png

My ducks are going through some of that right now. I have 4 that are almost ready to start laying and I recently introduced a new drake. They ARE calming down but GEEEZZ!!! The DRAMA sometimes! LOL

Back
Top Bottom