I have a mountain lion problem

Electric wires work. I have electric wires around my coops and pens and nothing has gotten past them. The main thing is to get a good fence charger and a good ground. It should put out at least 7000 volts. I guarantee nothing will get past mine. I don't have lions but have about most every other predator. I think that once a predator gets zapped they learn that a bird is not worth it.
A bobcat a couple of months ago outside my chick/grow-out coop. I'm sure it knows the electric wires are there. you can run the wires as high as you like. I have 3 wires. Free ranging is nice but I have lost too many birds to predators in the past so I have nice large covered pens to protect my birds from both aerial and ground predators. I also have several game cameras up on my property. I love my cameras. Good luck...
http://www.plamondon.com/wp/faq-simple-electric-fences-chickens/

View attachment 2569118
If anything touches my wires they will hurt for a couple of days. (14,300 volts)
View attachment 2569119
It may not be pretty but it works.
View attachment 2569120
We have electrical wire around ours, also. We have set game cams out and we have seen everything stalking our birds. We had a mountain lion live under my husband’s shop for years and every time he want down there he hade to take his gun, though we haven’t seen it in a few years.

If you see your chickens as friends or pets, I'd definitely build a big "fort knox" run for them, including electric fencing. If you're okay with the circle of life and potentially losing them to a hungry mountain lion, then an electric fence would minimize risk...but we are talking about a predator that climbs trees and can jump most fences...sooo....

As far as LGD, my uncle's trained, protective german shepherds would alert him about lions, but would not try to fight one. They'd get behind him (and his gun), lol. Not sure I'd depend on a dog to fight off/deter a cougar. Maybe Pyrenees are different? But a dog would help deter smaller predators...we haven't had issues with raccoons, foxes, etc, around our run and I think our dogs being out there a lot helps. I also encourage them to pee by the run.

Many years ago a daughter moved to a place where she couldn't have any animals. We took her dog which was a walker hound. She had access to the property 24/7. We never had issues with predators when she was around. Sadly she had severe health issues and had to be put down but she was an old dog. After we lost her I then went about other protective routes such as my electric wires around my coops and pens, good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens and concrete under the gates all due to losses from predators which did eventually discover she wasn't here anymore so chickens were on the menu. Lessons leaned the hard way. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom