I have a mountain lion problem

I have a mountain lion problem I want to free range my chickens but we have mountain lions in my area is there any other way to do it other than not free range ?
We have a bob cats, coyotes, hawks, falcons and mountain lions all around us so free ranging our birds is out of the question. I guess you could get a dog to help. But, we have just decided to keep them in a covered run during the day and a locked coop at night. Unfortunately a hungry wild animal will lead to loss of a flock sometimes. There was an incident of a goat and sheep kill in someone's yard/open pen here in San Diego recently that was investigated by DFW and was determined to be a mountain lion or other large animal. At first it was thought to be an act of some cruel attack by a person because some of the other animals like the chickens and ducks were not touched. As far as I know no depradation permit was issued.

We have a bob cats, coyotes, hawks, falcons and mountain lions all around us so free ranging our birds is out of the question. I guess you could get a dog to help. But, we have just decided to keep them in a covered run during the day and a locked coop at night. Unfortunately a hungry wild animal will lead to loss of a flock sometimes. There was an incident of a goat and sheep kill in someone's yard/open pen here in San Diego recently that was investigated by DFW and was determined to be a mountain lion or other large animal. At first it was thought to be an act of some cruel attack by a person because some of the other animals like the chickens and ducks were not touched. As far as I know no depradation permit was issued.
Thanks for the advice 🙏👍

Electric fencing may be your best bet here. Much less expensive than one or two big guard dogs!
Or have a big coop and safe run (electric fencing protected) and don't try totally free ranging. There's no totally safe way to free range chickens anywhere, because they are on everyone's menu.
Mary
Thanks for helping me out I will try to get one 😀😃

Electric wires work. I have electric wires around my coops and pens and nothing has gotten past them. The main thing is to get a good fence charger and a good ground. It should put out at least 7000 volts. I guarantee nothing will get past mine. I don't have lions but have about most every other predator. I think that once a predator gets zapped they learn that a bird is not worth it.
A bobcat a couple of months ago outside my chick/grow-out coop. I'm sure it knows the electric wires are there. you can run the wires as high as you like. I have 3 wires. Free ranging is nice but I have lost too many birds to predators in the past so I have nice large covered pens to protect my birds from both aerial and ground predators. I also have several game cameras up on my property. I love my cameras. Good luck...
http://www.plamondon.com/wp/faq-simple-electric-fences-chickens/

DSCF0002112 09Rev.jpg

If anything touches my wires they will hurt for a couple of days. (14,300 volts)
20201129_095137.jpg

It may not be pretty but it works.
20210115_095548.jpg

Back
Top Bottom