I have a pip and some peeping!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatLacroix, Oct 10, 2009.

1. KatLacroix

KatLacroix Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2009
    The eggs under my hen are starting to hatch [​IMG] is there anything I should look out for?

2. mahalo4

mahalo4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Gilbert,AZ
    Fuzzy Butts!!! [​IMG]

3. Julie's Silkies

Julie's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Gloucester, Virginia
    My little hen hatch 12 chicks 4 days ago, Their all fine, i just make sure their in the nesting box with her at night. during the day she will sat on the ground and they will be under her if not walking around the pen.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  4. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Congratulations!!!!

I also have pipping today! My White Rock only has three BA/EE eggs under her, and two of them are pipping, and the third I can hear a tap, tap, tap! WOOHOO! Mr. Roo did his job, and Momma Hen did hers!!! Now if I can only stay away and let them do their thing. I can't wait to see those fuzzy butts!

Oh, btw, can you hear any chirping yet? I can hear one of mine chirping.

5. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    The only problem I've had with hatching under a broody hen is when the hen has a lot of eggs she is hatching, sometimes a shell might get capped over the air cell of an unhatched egg, killing the other chick. So, depending on the situation, I will sometimes watch and steal the egg shells as they hatch.

That said, I had 8 hatch last week with no troubles at all and no intervention from me.

6. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] All three have hatched. Gorgeous babies, and soo very tiny! All dark colored, and all EE crosses. I'm in heaven, and pray they all do OK during the night. Two seem awfully tired.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by