I have a pip!

tadyergey

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 5, 2011
Nokesville, VA
My Coop
My Coop
I have 6 eggs under a broodie and the first pip has occurred. What should I do? Go to bed and see what happens or periodically check on the eggs/chicks?

Sorry for being a nervous dad...

I have water and food at the bottom of a ramp for the chicks... Will mamma lead them there after hatching or will I have to show them where it is?

Yay! Go to bed and check in the AM, sometimes it can be up to 24-hrs after a pip before they actually hatch.

Woke up this morning and the one that pipped, was half out of his shell, but didn't make it. Since then I have an americauna fuzzy and two other eggs that have pipped. (saw them when my broodies got up for breakfast and their morning constitution. Both of my broodies seem to be treating him well and there is no drama except for the little guy that died.

So now 4 of the 6 have hatched including teh one that didn't make it. The second one hatched is very lethargic and can't hold his head up. It is still in the "fetal" position as it was in the egg. He only moves when the others step on him. I got him to drink a bit of sugar water but nothing seems to adding any pep to him. Thoughts?

The final tally... 5 of 6 hatched and it appears the little guy/gal I was worried about rallied and seems to be doing fine.

My 5 fuzzies:

The one I was worried about:

Aw, so cute! Congrats
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom