I have a problem

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LaynaDon95, Nov 27, 2012.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I have a problem. My coop is ugly. Not the actual coop itself, it's fine, but all around it. The chickens have destroyed everything green and beautiful in and around it. I need some ideas for how to beautify it again. Plants, signs, anything. What do you do to keep your coop looking presentable? Especially during winter. I live in Texas, so it doesn't get really cold often, but cold enough that plants stop growing at least. Ideas?

2. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    Maybe try rotating the chickens through different areas of the garden? Don't let them scratch an area to death before you move them on to the next area.

3. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    They free range throughout the whole back "field" (we have a inner backyard for the dogs, then a much bigger one for the chickens.). It's just the area immediately surrounding their coop that is so "bald" and there is nothing to be done for it but to plant things and try to make it pretty again.

4. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    Sounds like you've already got it figured out. [​IMG]

5. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    You might plant some shrubs in the run and other areas where you want green. Put wire around them until they get established. There are several kinds that chickens really don't bother when they are bigger. They will also offer a little protection from over head preditors if you run is not covered.

6. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    I put chicken wire around the beds that are around the fence of my chicken coop. You can hardly see it unless you are on top of it. I used wooden stakes from Lowes and weaved them through the wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by