I have a Question about 4-H Fair Shows

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by drdoolittle, Jul 8, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Can you show a roo at a 4-H fair that has his wings clipped? I am selling 2 roos, and the kid told me they were for showing at the county fair, but I didn't even think about the fact that their wings are clipped. [​IMG]

2. gingernutranger

gingernutranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    That's disqualification. I felt sorry for a family who went to our local fair with 5 chickens, all wings clipped and none of their birds were placed.

3. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Actually, at our county shows, they don't DQ any birds because they're the kids' birds. Our neighbors stole some of our birds and clipped their wings and were still showable since it was 4 H. State Fair would be a lot more strict.

Shelly

4. 4Hchickenproject

4Hchickenproject Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    They do grow back. Will he be showing before they have time to grow back in?

5. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I think he's planning on showing at the county fair, and soon. I'm only concerned because I am meeting him in the morning w/the roos, and I don't have his number to call him back and tell him their wings are clipped. It won't be a big deal to me as far as having to drive to meet him, as we are meeting at a Rural King and I need to make some purchases there anyway. I just didn't want to waste his time. Thanks for the replies-----guess I'll find out in the morning if he still wants them.

6. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    They would be DQ'ed at our county fair. They may be 'just kids' but it takes an extremely NICE bird to win our county fair. As superintendent in this county I am often impressed with the quality of birds I see at the fair. There are the junk birds, but I think our fair in particular has a large share of very nice birds from year to year.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  7. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, maybe he'll still want them. Here are their pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know if they'd be DQed at mine, but they absolutely wouldn't win.

I guess explain to the kid and see where it goes.

9. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I personally don't think a clipped wing should disqualify. I have no option right now but to. All of my birds other than my seramas have theirs clipped. I don't have a covered run on my coop and I was having issues with my flightier birds getting out when they were still getting used to their new home. It also makes it easier to catch them. Especially my phoenixes. Once the coops covered I will probably not clip anymore

10. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I clipped mine because they were getting out of my free-range pen and my GSD had killed a few. He didn't want them-----said they'd be DQd. Oh well, I would've missed them anyway. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by