I have a question about blood spots in the eggs

happi752

Songster
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
Casa Grande
My neighbor comes and buys my eggs all the time. I finally asked him why. He said almost all of his eggs that his hens lay have blood spots in them when he cracks them open. We are talking 8 out of a dozen eggs. I wonder why. Any suggestions?

I researched it and this is what I found. Hope it helps........Pop

The yolk is formed in the follicular sac by the deposition of continuous layers of yolk material. Ninety-nine percent of the yolk material is formed within the 7-9 days before the laying of the egg. When the yolk matures, the follicular sac ruptures or splits along a line with few, of any, blood vessels. If any blood vessels cross the stigma, a small drop of blood may be deposited on the yolk as it is released from the follicle. This causes most blood spots in eggs. After the yolk is released from the follicle, it is kept intact by the vitelline membrane surrounding it. The release of the yolk from the ovary is called "ovulation."

The blood spots are harmless and edible. just a minor thing easily ignored, often found in storbought eggs too! Still, if he's buying eggs from you, oh well! his loss is your gain.

You should let him know that a hen who lays eggs with blood spots will often pass this trait on to her offspring. Maybe he needs to get some fresh hens from another source? Just a thought.

Blood Spots
Also called meat spots. Occasionally found on an egg yolk. Contrary to popular opinion, these tiny spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Rather, they are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct. Less than 1% of all eggs produced have blood spots.

Mass candling methods reveal most eggs with blood spots and those eggs are removed but, even with electronic spotters, it is impossible to catch all of them. As an egg ages, the yolk takes up water from the albumen to dilute the blood spot so, in actuality, a blood spot indicates that the egg is fresh. Both chemically and nutritionally, these eggs are fit to eat. The spot can be removed with the tip of a knife, if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom