I have a question about my duck's?

Just throwing in my 2 cents. If you are going to get some girls, IMO you will need at least 5 females and possibly 6 to keep everyone safe. If I were in your situation, I would keep them separated for now, but let them see each other. It can be very stressful if they are just ripped away from each other. If you do go with getting females and you can give each boy 3 girls, I think you would see that things would be much better. Mating season is a tough time. And drakes can be pretty obnoxious. Whatever you do, please don't just get each boy one girl and put them all together. Many hens are hurt or killed by being overbred by drakes in the spring time.
I have 7 girls and one boy. He is a happy, tired boy right now. A great ratio I think. This is the first year I have not seen my little mixed breed with a raw spot on the back of her head. Like she had when we had only 3 girls and one boy.
Above all, I know it is hard not to get aggravated with them, especially when one of them is getting picked on, but try to remember it is just instinct, they cannot help it.

We do plan to get more later on after we get our new pin's made. This is mine & hubbys first time having duck's we did have a girl that was with our brown duck but she gotten out of the pin and gotten killed so my hubby went and gotten me 2 more duck's the white one and a black one that passed alway after having part of his mouth tore of some how. So now we are just down to 2-duck's the brown and white one.

I'm so glad I found this site last night because I'm learning thing's that I didn't even know about. I'm from the city living on a very small farm and learning as I go.

How much room do they have? What your one boy is doing to the other looks pretty normal to me. If they are penned in pretty tight quarters, it may escalate out of sheer boredom.

You have multiple problems going on that need to be addressed immediately:

1) As previously mentioned, you have two drakes - they are unmistakably fighting because they are under stress.

2) They are under stress because they have no females. Each drake needs at least 4 or more females, so you're going to have to find some mature females or rehome at least one of those males.

3) They are also under stress because that is too small of an area for them. How much time each day do they spend in that pen? They need to be out foraging and able to get away from each other. And certainly, once ladies are brought in, they too will need considerably more space. 1.5 square meters per duck is the recommended minimum. And frankly, that's not a hell of a lot of room, ducks are better off with a lot of space.

Please get a copy of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by David Hoderread.

Good luck!

I too think if that is the amount of room they have that they need more room, but I remember someone on here before who successfully kept drakes in her drake pen without females, and if I remember correctly they did quite well.

I can keep two drakes with the girls free ranged on three acers as long as the smaller drake never gets in between the big drake and his girls.
I have a second breed of duck who hags out with my small guy but no one messes with her.

Back
Top Bottom