1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I have a question about roostng

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Madddawg, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Madddawg

Madddawg Chirping

Feb 2, 2015
    Missouri
    My Coop
    I am trying to wrap up m coop. and somewhere on here I saw someone with a roosting table. basically a table with a roost above it. (can't find it back) The theory is to clean the litter out from on the table I guess where most of the poop is. Is this something worth doing.? I have the "table" to do this. or should I just go with the roosting bars.

Also, I have about a twelve foot long coop. How much roosting area do 16 chickens need?

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Songster

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    The table and poop boards are a great feature! Do it! One linear foot of roost space per standard bird is best. [​IMG]

3. chynasparks

chynasparks Songster

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    I only have 5 new chicks. My first flock succumbed to predators. Very sad. Anyway, my husband built a poop caddy for the coop. It looks like a tool caddy. The "handle" is the roost bar and the "caddy" the tray is what is filled with sand. They do their droppings there while roosting. I use cat litter rake to clean out the caddy. It's portable so we can remove it for more thorough cleaning. It's made of good wood. I would think you could make several and line them up for your flock of 16, or what ever layout would fit for your coop. I use play sand and sweet pdz and diamathious earth to control odor and bugs. Just an idea to consider.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: