I have a question about Silkies...

Don't be dissapointed yet. hang in there........
frow.gif
None of mine were friendly till they settled down and got a little older. then most of them love then attention & treats. Mine came when called. just handle them a LOT.
smile.png

Quote:
Yikes. That bad, huh? I'm sorry.
sad.png

magsrags I feed them yogurt everyday once a day. And they only get it if they are on my hand. Is that good enough you think? I don't want to overfeed them yogurt or any treat!

My hubby used to sit and watch TV with our three babies on his chest with this hands cupped around them (till they grew out of that space). The still seem to enjoy laying on his chest... perhaps the heartbeat.

Good luck and keep trying, cause they really are a sweet and loveable pet. I just adore mine and can't wait for the 5 additional babies I ordered to arrive.

D

Quote:
sad.png

magsrags I feed them yogurt everyday once a day. And they only get it if they are on my hand. Is that good enough you think? I don't want to overfeed them yogurt or any treat!

It's a great start .... try to actually handle/carry them around a bit as well. Sit and hold them on your lap. The more the better. I would sit and hand them treats all the while talking to them. The more time to put into them the better they will respond later on. It's won't be long. Hve fun! That is the main p[art, enjoy them.
big_smile.png

Quote:
sad.png

It's a great start .... try to actually handle/carry them around a bit as well. Sit and hold them on your lap. The more the better. I would sit and hand them treats all the while talking to them. The more time to put into them the better they will respond later on. It's won't be long. Hve fun! That is the main p[art, enjoy them.
big_smile.png

Oh yes, definetley enjoy them lol. Actually now when they hop up on my hand I take them out of the box and onto my lap and feed them yogurt or their chick starter. Some like it and some don't. One I only just now got to crawl up onto my hand for some yogurt... I think they will come around. I hope. I have more hope after this board.
smile.png

sorry to get off subject, but has anyone ever heard of a genetic defect in gray silkies? i just bought one and its the most skittish thing, she has no feathers on her feet, you can clearly see her eyes, her skin is green instead of blue, and she hasn't realy fluffed out. did i mention that she's 14 weeks old? i contacted the breeder i got her from, and she said that she's been havin gthe same trouble with one of her grays.

My silkies were the least friendly and docile when they were little, but they are getting better. They are not nearly as friendly as the Buff Orpingtons, who hop on my lap or shoulders, but they are coming around.

I make it a point to not put them down until they settle down. When they are calm again, I give them a little chin scratch and then gently et them down. That way, the last thing they remember with me will not be panic, but contentment.

Oldtimegator is right - you need to hang in there. My experience is that most chickens are weirdly avoidant from 4 weeks to about 4 months. I have some 9 week old silkies that run to the door of their enclosure when I arrive & flee in fear when I enter. One of them bites my finger when I stretch out a hand to pet it. However, any of them I pick up is easy to handle & docile. The more time you spend with them & treats you bring, the higher your status.

Yep, I hold them until they stop squealing. Cup them in your hand or hold them against your chest. They'll stop in a short time. Then just continue to hold them another minute or so and put them back in the brooder.

They still squeal the next time you pick them up...I never noticed a change in that...but it seems to help when they finally grow out of whatever ridiculous stage they are in.
big_smile.png

Sorry chixrus I have no idea. Make a board about it and maybe some people will answer you better there.
tongue.png
That's what I'd do.

Well thank you everyone for the advice! I will definetley not give up hope on them. I DO love them even if they don't love me. And I'll make them love me gosh darnit!
lol.png

They are the only chickens I have besides my bantam cochin who I hatched with them and is in the same brooder with them so they will get ALL of my chicken attention.
tongue.png
I'll hold them and pet them when I feed them yogurt and hopefully as they go into the big coop they will calm down. I know they are chickens and their instinct is that they are prey but having lap chickens sounds really nice.
tongue.png

Thanks again everyone. I hope this works!

Back
Top Bottom