I have a question please help!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lmjc, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Lmjc

Lmjc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    By the time I can tell if a rooster is a rooster or not, will it be to late to tame as a lap chicken?? :/

2. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    You would have to handle him a lot more that you would with smaller chicks and also give him plenty of tasty treats. This usually helps.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    IMO roosters are best left alone and respected. The either see you as dominant of submissive, never as friends. I wouldn't have a rooster that close to my face/eyes, ever.

4. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    The best luck I have had with roosters is if I leave them alone. I have 6 roosters and the only one who tries to peck me is the one who I nursed and helped up the roost and held all the time. Here I saved his life and he pecks me. ll my other Roos I never handled and they run from me. If I do pick them up they don't peck me or anything but they don't want to be handled. I don't know if this works or not but I have raised all these Roos and had great luck,

5. Lmjc

Lmjc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    My RIRs are an odd bunch, one has a slightly largerr comb than the others, one has a more red comb than the others, one one just looks normal, they are sopposed to be all hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by