I have a question?

chickabator

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
ky
I have 26 RIR chicks 2 barred rocks and 2 red star cockerels that will be 6 weeks old tuesday. When can I put them in their run? they are still in a pen with heat right now. It is suppose to snow tonight and the rest of the week here in southeast ky. at least that is what the news is saying. but the temps are suppose to be in the 20's and 30's for lows and highs. They are pretty feathered out now . the reason I am asking is they are out growing their pen and it seems like it has sprung a leak or it is sweating or somehow getting wet. We are having to change the straw every other day and it is soaked. I personally think that is their waste but hubby thinks it is leaking. They are in a pen that is 4 x5 and is 3 ft. tall. it is made out of tin and wood with a lid on it. that is inside of a storage shed . I really need some advise here on when we can put them out without heat anymore. I don't want them to get sick and die on me I have spent too much money for that.

When you put them in the "run" will they have a henhouse? Is there a way to run a heat lamp out there to them? Is the hen house ( if they have one) draft free? Personally, at 6 weeks, I think they are much too young to withstand 20's and 30's.

i would wait until the snow or colder weather is past maybe another week or two. unless you can get the heat lamp out for them.with the lamp they should be fine. but i put mine out at 6 or 7 weeks here in sc around 32 34 deg.they do fine. ur moisture problem might be from humidity inside the building if its tightly covered. jmo good luck ..............johnny

Last edited:
yes they will have a hen house. and yes hubby can put a heat sorce in it it is draft free and water proof

yep, what he said!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom