I have a rodent!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jennyhaschicks, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Something chewed a hole in our chicken house. (it's only plywood) Not a pretty house by any means.. [​IMG] Over the past couple days something chewed a hole in the bottom of it. I am thinking a rat. I don't think a mouse would need to fit in a hole like that since the place is not tight by any means. I am going to set up a trap to see if I can get anything. My goose house is right beside our chicken house. Would a rat hurt a goose? Now I am paranoid that the rat will bite my poor geese.

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i dont know the answer to the main question: i think boarding and fixing the hole would be the best way to go. [​IMG]
    i have alot of field mince, never seen any in the chicken coops. a rat might carry disease tho, something i would be really concerned about. [​IMG]

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Repair hole (which I'm sure you're doing!), make sure all food sources are inaccessible at night, don't worry and see how it goes. With the weather being colder now, something thought it would be a grand idea to visit a warm place but hopefully with it being unwelcoming (no night time food source for now) they will look for greener pastures.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by