I have a rooster whitout tail feather anyone know what breed he could be?

countrymom28

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
I got 10 chicks a good while back the guy I got them from said they were top knot only 2 hens have feathered heads. he said the I was getting 1 roo and 9 hens. I ended up with 4 roos and 6 hens. he told me he could tell the sex of the chicks by the tail feathers the roos dont have them? well he was right that ones a roo but the other 3 have tail feathers!!! I looked it up been to poultry exchanges and never seen a roo like him so i was wondering if anyone know what he could be? im guessing some sort of mix????

This is Rudy

I got 10 chicks a good while back the guy I got them from said they were top knot only 2 hens have feathered heads. he said the I was getting 1 roo and 9 hens. I ended up with 4 roos and 6 hens. he told me he could tell the sex of the chicks by the tail feathers the roos dont have them? well he was right that ones a roo but the other 3 have tail feathers!!! I looked it up been to poultry exchanges and never seen a roo like him so i was wondering if anyone know what he could be? im guessing some sort of mix????
I think you're right about them being a mix, if it is a sex linked trait for the breed to only have females with tails; I've never heard of such a breed but I am no breed expert, lol! I have heard of chickens without tails but not that it was a male only trait.

If you can show a pic of the other chooks, some breed expert would be able to tell you what they are, purebred or mix or whatever breed. Are they all from the same clutch, or just age group?

Best wishes.

Araucana cross I would guess. They are the only rumpless breed I can think of. There's a good chance he carries the blue egg gene. Do any of the hens lay blue eggs?

I would guess that the guy you got the chicks from was confused by the fact that males are often slower feathering than females; which is different than males don't have tails. Also, unless you know that genetically you have slow-feathering males you should never use this method to sex chicks or you'll end up culling slow developing pullets.

I would also guess that your boy is a mixed breed with Araucana in his heritage somewhere (rumplessness is a dominant trait) OR (and this is quite likely) the other birds have been pulling out his tail feathers. I once had a boy that never had a tail until he got put in a breeding pen with just a few ladies and his tail grew in at the next moult. You can check if you feel his rump area for a tailbone. Araucanas are missing that last bone on the spine and don't even have an oil gland back there.

Last edited:
he has seperated from the others and still no tail, my roos get along pretty well. He is skiddish tho keeps to himself and the hens never seen him in a fight

Back
Top Bottom