I have a sich chicken

Just chicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 15, 2013
I have 16 hens and all but one are well. We noticed yesterday morning that she was hiding and not feeling well. Just kinda sits hunkered down and her rear end is all wet and poopy. Her poop is really watery with a bit of dark greenish spots in it (almost livery looking and some white running through it too. Her comb and waddles have turned turned yellowie. What should I do?? I've separated her from the rest of the flock and put water with some electrolytes and vitamins in it. Scrambled her an egg to try and get her to eat. I've read so much on the internet of things it could be... I'm quite confused.

Also I should add that the chickens are about 20 weeks old.

Last edited:

Here she is and a pic of her poop

I let them out to free range most every afternoon. I have a gravel drive. I don't put grit in their little enclosed area. Should I??

Well I've made an appt with the Vet for today. Probably silly but I can't stand just letting her lay there and possibly die :( And then if my other girls get it
hit.gif

Get some Corid for coccidiosis. It comes in powder or small containers of liquid. Even if you don't start her on this after seeing the vet, it is good to have on hand for emergencies.

Get some Corid for coccidiosis. It comes in powder or small containers of liquid. Even if you don't start her on this after seeing the vet, it is good to have on hand for emergencies.
I went to TSC last night looking for some. There was a bag that said it was for calfs but I had no idea how much to give her. DO you think that is what it is? I saw no blood in her poo at all. Dang this being a chicken mama is stressful.

OK when I stand her up she starts crooking her neck down and around and pulled a feather on her underside out. could it be mites??

I just wanted to post a followup incase anyone was looking at this thread. Cleo made it... the vet did think it was the coccidiosis and I treated her and the rest of the flock with the Corid. The vet was ridiciously expensive $120 but I got some great info. I have another sick girl now... different thing going on but I'm treating her with info from this great site and meds from the feed store. Much cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom