1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brendae2007, Jan 23, 2014.

1. brendae2007

brendae2007 New Egg

Jan 23, 2014
    ~~I have an 8 month old buff orphington named Skippy. . She is one of eleven in a mixed flock. She is the smallest of the lot and she has always had something going on with her leg. She skips when she runs. But has always been able to keep up with the others. In early December I noticed she was not acting quite right. She was not as active as normal and not very enthusiastic about eating. After a couple of days she stopped coming out of the hen house when I opened the door in the morning to let them all out. I brought her inside, put a heat lamp on her and tried to find a vet in my area. I could not find a vet so I researched forums online and decided that based on her symptoms she could have either a vitamin deficiency (leg issue) or worms (thread worms). I added organic layer pellets to the entire flock to go along with the organic mixed grains I was already feeding. Based on research I decided to worm first with wazine and then with safeguard. I put her back with the other hens. This was rough because she was only away from them for about 36 hours and they were very vicious to her by pecking and pulling her feathers. I spent almost a half a day in the pen so they could get used to her again. Anyway, she just kept getting weaker and weaker. she was not eating or drinking. I admit at this point I should have ended her misery but I am new to this and could just not give up on her. Around Christmas it turned really cold and I got worried for her so I brought her back in and was hand feeding her pedialite. She only took 2 tsp a day. In the two weeks between the wazine and sageguard I bought a pro biotic for birds and dosed her three different times. She seemed to improve some and even ate a bit of cucumber one day. After the safeguard worming she did not improve like I thought she should so I gave her a 20 minute bath in Epson salts. This was on Thursday. By Monday of this week I decided she had had enough and was prepared to put her down. I came home from work and she was drinking water on her on and had scratched around in her crate. I took her outside and let her free range with the other hens and she lasted for an hour. I have been taking her out every night and she normally on lasted 5 or ten minutes. So an hour was good. I thought she was better and she does act better. She is scratching in her crate and moving the grain around. She is drinking. But she still sleeps a lot with her head under her wing. My husband says I have to move her back outside. I know the hens will give her a fit and most likely peck her to death. She is still weak and weighs less than a loaf of bread. Tell me what to do.

2. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    The only thing I can offer is maybe soaking the feed in water with a dash of unpasteurized ACV to start fermentation and if she wont eat it on her own, syringe feed a little to get her going again. It will give her good bacteria she needs, she will absorb more of the nutrients than with dry and boost her energy. Sounds like you've done a good job so far! I wouldn't have been able to put her down either. Wish I could off more advice. Good luck!

3. brendae2007

brendae2007 New Egg

Jan 23, 2014
    Thank you. I will try soaking her food. I'm just wondering if I am postponing the inevitable. Not sure the flock will ever take her back and I can't keep her in the house indefinitely

4. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Try treating her for coccidia and mareks. Coccidia should be treated with something like Sulmet, Albon or Baycox and you can try treating the mareks with something called hypericum which you can get at the health food store in the homeopathic section.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am going to bump this thread for more ideas.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    First,she cannot go back outside until she is well,explain this to your husband.

She probably had some leg issue that went untreated,hence the skipping type run. Does she stand on leg or hold it up,any funny walking,meaning does she use wings for balance or walk low to the ground?

Check her crop,make sure she is in fact eating,her crop
    should be full at night(after eating all day)and empty in the morning(before eating). It is possible the other hens are not letting her eat/drink. She has access to grit inside home?

Sleeping a lot is a sign she is not well,you just have to figure out what the issue is,start with her crop.

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I would explain to my husband that she can not go back outside until she is well. Hopefully he will be understanding enough to help her and let her continue to remain inside.if she is not eating then please consider tube feeding her so she gets her fluids and nutrition. There is a thread on how to tube feed with wonderful instructions. You can use a fish air hose as a tube and buy a food called EXACT by Kay tee. It's perfect for tube feeding. It will give her the nutrition she needs so badly and help her gain weight. When they are not eating tube feeding is so important to keep them from starving to death. It should help with her strength as well. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by