I have a single chick and i cant afford another one

Pics
Assuming story is true:

1) agree with all, listen to your parents and do what is best for the chick. This is a living creature in addition to being a food provider (eggs or meat or pet).

2) to that end, it sounds like you already sold your parents on new chicks, but definitely use this as a growing experience for you (had your parents not yet agreed, this would have been how I would recommend selling them on the idea). You now have responsibility far beyond what you had before you bought this chick. Live up to it.

3) you will need a coop sooner than later. The switch happens fast and you need to be prepared. Those cute cuddly chicks are going to start kicking up a lot of dust if you have them in the house once they are a few weeks older. (Once they start constantly scratching the shavings, etc)

4) I still don't quite understand the whole money thing you were trying to get across, but chickens aren't free. The coop, the feed, the care all add up. If you can't handle it, recognize it and give them to someone who can now before you've invested money into a coop and then decide you can't afford to feed them.
hiya! im already saving up for a coop!! velvet and her new sister are now about a week old, in the next week or two i’ll have enough to buy a small coop for them or even build

I 100% believe you. I think we all should shift focus to where these chicks are going to live in 6-8 weeks, though. Do you want help with figuring out your coop? Do you need info or resources?
i would absolutely love some help, coops are expensive by what i can see, im wondering how much it’d cost to build one?

i would absolutely love some help, coops are expensive by what i can see, im wondering how much it’d cost to build one?
Building one from pallets or other second hand material is much cheaper than a prefab. But to do so you must be handy , need some tools and be a bit inventive. There are a few coop articles to help you with this.

A prefab coop is often less expensive than a self build coop from new material. Because if you are building a coop people tend to buy better materials and do it right. There a many coop plans in the learning centre to get started. But if you don’t start right away, a self build coop might not be ready in time.

All prefabs needs adjustment imo. Because most prefabs don’t have enough run space, ventilation, and windows. Roost are often too low (or nest-boxes too high) and its a good thing to add a foundation (stones, treated wood, concrete) and hwc slabs to keep predators and diggers out.
Roofs often often have not enough overhang and often last no longer than 2 years before they start to leak.
But with adjustments and rework they can last up to 10 years (I still have my old prefab).

rn baby 2 is asleep, she prefers to be alone and i’m gonna give her that alone time, me and velvet are cuddling rn !
Is baby 2 a few days younger?

hiya! im already saving up for a coop!! velvet and her new sister are now about a week old, in the next week or two i’ll have enough to buy a small coop for them or even build
I was just reading a thread on this yesterday, definitely research the brand of coop you buy, some are very expensive and not very good quality.
That said you might be able to find a decent one that will hold up to weather and time, but if you can get your parents to help you, you might want to consider making your own
There's probably some good online guides and youtube videos that would help you through step by step!

Back
Top Bottom