I have a single chick and i cant afford another one

I could go on for many reasons on what issues could be, however i will never know the exact intention OP had. I know my dad was the one who helped me get chickens and was onboard, but didn’t like the idea of them after a while. If thats the case, i totally understand.
of course, but that situation is a little different. it’s incredibly heavily implied op got the chick without permission at all instead of their dad changing their mind about it.

it just upsets me that chickens are so much hard work and i would be incredibly resentful of somebody if they did this to me, no matter how rewarding chickenkeeping is.

of course, but that situation is a little different. it’s incredibly heavily implied op got the chick without permission at all instead of their dad changing their mind about it.

it just upsets me that chickens are so much hard work and i would be incredibly resentful of somebody if they did this to me, no matter how rewarding chickenkeeping is.
I do agree, though I think it depends on OP's age and how much outdoor space there is. For example, someone with a fairly small garden, being young and not financially independent, is very different to someone who is financially independant, and who has plenty of outdoor space. In either situation, if the parent is unhappy it is still unfair, but a little better if the parent doesn't have to be involved.
I think OP has said that her dad came around to the idea, and likes Velvet now- so hopefully this will be the start of a good chicken keeping journey.

i’m still unsure about if i’ll get a premade coop or build my own
100% build your own. Will be a fraction of the price and your chickens will likely do much better in them. Beyond that, price can be driven down even further by using second hand materials.

As a general rule, set up your plan to include:
4 sq feet of coop per chicken
1 foot of roostbar per chicken (roost bars above nest boxes)
1 nestbox per 4 chickens (minimum 3 nest boxes)
1 sq foot of ventilation per chicken

Additionally, if you have material around, feel free to post what you have here and we can try to put together some plans for you. A lot of us have been through the coop building process and really enjoy it.

Oh yes, expensive to. You will probably need to go to the vet at some point, you need to build (or buy and fix up) a coop, they are a lot of work. I spend every single day doing chickens. From when i get up to when i go to sleep.

Oh yes, expensive to. You will probably need to go to the vet at some point, you need to build (or buy and fix up) a coop, they are a lot of work. I spend every single day doing chickens. From when i get up to when i go to sleep.
right!! if you’re actively trying to give them the basic care needed, you’re still going to have your hands full every day! it’s not like having a dog or cat that can just live inside with you relatively easily and safely.

i love my chickens with all my heart but if somebody forced keeping them onto me out of guilt i would be livid. this is not the life for everyone.

the fact that op managed to convince their dad also says to me that it didn’t need to be this way! why couldn’t they have just sat down and had an honest convo about chickenkeeping, what it’s like, the rewards, ect and slowly worked towards getting them instead of dunking their parents right in at the deep end ? just. yikes. i hope op learns from this and understands how inconsiderate that was :/

right!! if you’re actively trying to give them the basic care needed, you’re still going to have your hands full every day! it’s not like having a dog or cat that can just live inside with you relatively easily and safely.

i love my chickens with all my heart but if somebody forced keeping them onto me out of guilt i would be livid. this is not the life for everyone.

the fact that op managed to convince their dad also says to me that it didn’t need to be this way! why couldn’t they have just sat down and had an honest convo about chickenkeeping, what it’s like, the rewards, ect and slowly worked towards getting them instead of dunking their parents right in at the deep end ? just. yikes. i hope op learns from this and understands how inconsiderate that was :/
very true! My ducks are a *lot* of work, and it takes a lot of time to sustain a good bond with them. You dont get a day off! Some days I feel so low and so tired and I have to force myself to get through everything, because they still need everything doing. They're a lot of work, 1000% worth it, but it isn't for everyone, as you say.

very true! My ducks are a *lot* of work, and it takes a lot of time to sustain a good bond with them. You dont get a day off! Some days I feel so low and so tired and I have to force myself to get through everything, because they still need everything doing. They're a lot of work, 1000% worth it, but it isn't for everyone, as you say.
Exactly. And this is just for adults. I know what its like with baby chicks, especially how you just feel so sympathetic for them, they are crying, and they want to snuggle. Your up all night trying to please them and hold them and get them to stop crying. They are SO much work. Im sure a singular one is worse because it really wants to be held 24/7.

Exactly. And this is just for adults. I know what its like with baby chicks, especially how you just feel so sympathetic for them, they are crying, and they want to snuggle. Your up all night trying to please them and hold them and get them to stop crying. They are SO much work. Im sure a singular one is worse because it really wants to be held 24/7.
I remember those days! Very tiring, fun, but tiring.

As a general rule, set up your plan to include:
4 sq feet of coop per chicken
1 foot of roostbar per chicken (roost bars above nest boxes)
1 nestbox per 4 chickens (minimum 3 nest boxes)
1 sq foot of ventilation per chicken
To clarify one point:
Yes, the roost bars should be higher than the nest boxes, because chickens like to sleep as high as they can.

But the roost bars should not be directly above the nest boxes, because chickens poop a lot while they are sleeping, and you do not want chicken poop in the nestboxes. (Exception: if there is something under the roosts to catch the poop, it is fine to put the nestboxes underneath that.)

To clarify one point:
Yes, the roost bars should be higher than the nest boxes, because chickens like to sleep as high as they can.

But the roost bars should not be directly above the nest boxes, because chickens poop a lot while they are sleeping, and you do not want chicken poop in the nestboxes. (Exception: if there is something under the roosts to catch the poop, it is fine to put the nestboxes underneath that.)
This is a good clarification. Yea, I should have said higher rather than above. They poop quite a bit while they sleep and you don't want poopy eggs.

Back
Top Bottom