I have a weird chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Churkenduse, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I have a weird chicken. When my hen Willie laid her first egg I was happy because all the other eggs were brown, which I love, but Willie laid white ones and that was a nice contrast they were really so white. Then suddenly no white eggs, I thought something was wrong with her, but I was getting a brown egg for each hen almost every day.

Well over the few years I have her I found with certainly that Willie lays white eggs then she lays brown eggs. This changed a few times in her life. This last week she was laying brown and then all of a sudden they are white.
    I am down to three hens so there is no mixing this up. Has anyone ever heard or this? this is not my imagination I am absolutely positive this happens but want to know if we are the only ones.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I have one hen that sometimes lays an almost white egg. Sometimes it has a really thin shell too. This is the same one that lays eggs w/out a shell often. So her plumbing is bad and I guess sometimes the body shop doesn't spray on the brown before laying hehe.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    It's not abnormal just maybe less common. Any number of things can cause it.

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I can believe it. Our wellie hen typically lays very dark brown eggs, but about once per week she'll put out a light brown egg (similar to our BR) that has a lot to almost no dark brown speckles. So if she typically laid a light brown egg and fluctuated like this, I'd imagine she'd put out a white egg every now and again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by